Wilbur Streett on Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:10:50 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Susan George: State sovereignity under threat

At 09:26 AM 11/15/99 +0100, Konfrontatie wrote:

>Despite the victory against the Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI)
>- thanks to France's withdrawal from the negotiations in October 1998 -
>questions remain. Why were governments ready to sign this scandalous
>treaty and renounce huge areas of their sovereignty, without any
>discernible advantage in exchange? The only explanation seems to be, as
>Marx and Engels put it, that "modern state power is merely the executive
>committee charged with managing the affairs of the bourgeoisie" (1).

If you wish to see just how far this has already occured, check out the
International Law known as the "Technology Transfer Agreement" which allows
the licensing of "technology" from France to the USA and payments for that
license to be made TAX FREE on both sides of the border.  In other words, a
company can pretend to create a technology and license it to a US company
and move funds out of the country with no taxation and no limit.

I personally know of two such instances, and I'm not even looking for them.

Wilbur