nettime_announcer on Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:35:28 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 99.46 [c]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 9 9 . 4 6 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  c <<

                                                                         - - - -
            Jason Skeet <jason@artec.org.uk> : make some fucking noise   | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
        Stephanie Tasch <sttasch@yahoo.com> : Zhang Peili 2000 Project   | 2 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
             Diane Dodd <diane.dodd@mx4.redestb.es> : Update New Media   | 2 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
                  Dean Kansky <dkansky@hotmail.com> : Web art homepage   | 2 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Ivo van Stiphout <ivo@stations.org> : join the 2K Worldwide Handshake   | 2 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Jean-Philippe Halgand <jean-philippe.halgand@aecom.org> : SOLIDARIDAD   | 2 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
           NY Arts Magazine <nyartsmaga@aol.com> : #37, November Issue   | 2 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
           Thundergulch <tgulch@artswire.org> : November presentations   | 2 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
             IOTE <iote@cult-lab.de> : Radioplay "Illusion of the End"   | 2 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
 Kirsten Lavers <kirsten@everyday.demon.co.uk> : Millennium Collection   | 2 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

<earshot> is free software that creates endless mixes of the web's acoustic
spaces. Type in a URL, or a word or phrase, and <earshot> begins to crawl
through the web by following links between sites, searching for audio files
and streams which the user can play with and manipulate. Found sounds (as
well as files on the local hard disc) can be played by loading them into an
'audio field', which fills the screen. Each sound file is represented as a
rotating stick - by moving the stick around the screen volume and pitch is
changed. A range of keyboard commands apply additional functions including
the muting, reversing, pausing and deleting of sounds.

<earshot> transforms the web into the world's biggest sample library and a
vast sound machine for unique performance and compositional possibilities.

<earshot> can be downloaded for free from: <http://www.deepdisc.com/earshot>

<earshot> is a standalone Java application, and is now available to run on
MacOS 8 and windows 95 or better. <earshot> requires a java runtime
environment and quicktime 4 - follow the installation instructions on the
<earshot> download page.

What follows is a text that forms part of the 'readme' document for the
software, and which attempts to explore some of the motivations behind the
project.

<make some fucking noise>

<earshot> is an experimental software application that explores, navigates
and composes with sound from the web. Built by a team of just two people
(1),we approached the development of <earshot> as users of the web and of
music software who wanted to extend and explore ideas about the way the web
is used and possible applications for digital audio. The nature of this
collaboration, and the development of the software, is an on-going process
- and one which also responds to feedback from users.(2) A tool, a toy and
a musical instrument, <earshot> engages the user on many different levels
at once.

<earshot> plugs into the vast amount of sound that exists on the web -
samples for download, embedded sounds, roll-over noises and audio streams.
<earshot> trawls through web sites by following hypertext links, searching
for audio which can then be played and manipulated. <earshot> does not push
the user into a pre-determined experience; it does not differentiate
between sound sources, but generates opportunities for randomness, chance
and play (experiences that connect with the processes involved in making
music, as well as the complex subjectivities of listeners).

<earshot> is built using two distinct pieces of software that were produced
during the project's research and development phase. The first,
_soundProbe_, is a software agent that can use three search strategies
supplied to it. Firstly, the user can type in web page addresses, sending
it to specific locations to search outwards for sound files, by following
links between web pages. Secondly, if the user types a word or phrase into
this URL window, this will be sent to conventional search engines, the
results of which are used to take <earshot> to new sites to scan for audio
files.

A third search strategy can be set in motion as soon as <earshot> is
started, by connecting it to the <earshot> home site, where it can interact
dynamically with the <earshot> server which provides it with a changing set
of samples and lists of web sites for it to trawl. So <earshot> starts to
make a noise almost as soon as it is fired up, and there are different
levels of feedback between the user and the application. The user
immediately starts to generate results, even if everything that <earshot>
is doing is not immediately understood.(3)

A second component to <earshot> is called Noise/machine. This is the
interface and audio engine that opens up and plays sound files and streams.
Noise/machine utilises Quicktime 4 technology, and is able to play nearly
all common sound files, quicktime streams and static movie files.(4)

This interface completely disregards any conventions of music software
(there is no tempo or time signature setting, no musical grid within which
to place sounds, and no musical notation of any kind). Sound files are
loaded into an audio spike on the left side of the screen, from where they
can be dropped into an audio field that comprises the rest of the screen,
where they can be dragged around to change their pitch and volume (moving
to the left slows the sound and its pitch down, to the right speeds the
sound and the pitch up, moving to the top of the screen increases volume,
and moving to the bottom decreases volume).(5)

If left on its own, <earshot> will generate its own mix. <earshot> is ready
to go into this mode as soon as it is fired up, and then will do so if the
user does not touch the keyboard for two minutes. This mix is determined by
filtering chaotic patterns into events that occur within the audio field.
This generator can also be started by hitting the 'S' key, and stopped by
pressing any key.

Using <earshot>, the web is transformed into a vast sound machine. This
develops the practise of sampling, processing and mixing sound which has
become central to various strands of contemporary musical production.
<earshot> is a software that DJs and musicians can create multiple uses
for. As a performance tool <earshot> can be used both for 'live'
improvisations and as a studio instrument. As a composition tool <earshot>
enables real time arrangement of sound. <earshot> is a search engine that
turns the web into a massive sample library. And it is an audio browser
that crawls the web by following links, exploring the web as an acoustic
space full of unexpected discoveries and chance encounters.

Our <earshot> promotion campaigns have identified various potential
audiences. We have promoted <earshot> in a range of cultural environments -
both as a sound toy and tool. We know that there are various net-based and
music software audiences that will be interested. We want to bring together
these different audiences; we hope that the collision of responses will
stimulate ideas which can then be fed back into the project. But beyond any
consideration of possible target audiences, we have other ideas for
<earshot>. These are concerned with the social and technical connections
made by the project.

<earshot> understands how culture is always collectively generated.
<earshot> is a tool that releases the creativity of its users. It explores
the web as a network of simultaneous and parallel spaces, where every
composition and performance produced by <earshot> is also a collective
cultural production of the web. <earshot> plugs into these collective
energies that form the net. <earshot> reveals how the web is under constant
construction; a space which can be endlessly remixed, where every sound
path that <earshot> creates is both a unique performance and composition.

<earshot> is also an investigation into acoustic space, the spaces we
listen to, and the connected experience of superimposition and
simultaneity. Acoustic spaces are capable of resonance; in other words, the
relationships and connections that are set up in an acoustic space can
respond to each other in a non-linear process. <earshot> is a tool for
exploring and producing acoustic spaces.(6)

<earshot> is inspired by technologies that have transformed the means of
musical production. For example, a dynamic and heterogeneous dance culture
has developed over the last decade, with different genres of electronic
dance music that have all been made possible by the availability of cheap
music technologies. The effect of this on the music industry has been far
more profound than that of punk a generation before. Any strict
categorisation between 'avant-garde' and 'popular' is now impossible. In
the context of music production and consumption, <earshot> makes its own
contribution to challenging this particular binary code. Turning <earshot>
on, the user becomes both producer and consumer, creating endless mixes of
the web's acoustic spaces without the need for establishing finished
products.

<earshot> has evolved because of an optimistic determination to explore how
much is up for grabs across what is outlined for our cultural consumption,
the web included. <earshot> wishes to contribute to an experimentation that
embraces the fact that technologies can enable possibilities not known or
controlled by those who originally developed them. Indeed, this was the
point at which we began to speculate about the possibilities for creating
our own software.

Notes:

(1.) Other projects that we have worked on have also fed into the design of
<earshot>. Andi Freeman worked on a research project developing a web
browser capable of sampling text from the web and processing it according
to various pre-defined specifications. Jason Skeet is involved with the
experimental dance label Ambush.

(2.) When downloading <earshot> from the <earshot> web site, the
opportunity is given to subscribe to an <earshot> electronic mailing list.

(3.) <earshot> can also be configured to explore the local hard disc or
network, since the directory structures found there are similar to those on
the net.

(4.) <earshot> requires Quicktime 4, and is built using the Java for
Quicktime development kit.

(5.) Keyboard commands are used for the deleting, muting, reversing,
pausing, rewinding and looping/unlooping of sound files in the audio field.

(6.) In contrast to the non-linearity of acoustic space, the invention of
perspective was not merely a technique for visual representation, but also
enabled the development of linear and sequential structures for organising
thought and perception. This engendered specific subjectivities; the visual
self, the self-contained, atomised individual of western society. For more
on this notion of acousticspace and how it relates to our use of electronic
media, see 'Acoustic Cyberspace' by Erik Davis

<earshot>
exploration, navigation and composition of sound on the web

<http://www.deepdisc.com/earshot>

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

Collecting Global TV News at the Turn of Century

Call for participants in a global collaborative project devised by video
artist Zhang Peili.

As the century comes to a close, the night of 31 December will be the
most awaited time of the year world-wide.

It will be an unique and epoch-making event, full of explicit and
implicit meanings and a moment of both retrospection and anticipation.
Television media around the globe will use different voices and
perspectives to talk about the same issues, the end of the twentieth
century, and expectations for 2000.

AIMS AND OBJECTIVES.

* To find collaborators for each participating country and to ask them
to videotape the main television news program broadcast at 7 p.m. in
the evening of 31 December.

(In most countries the evening news is shown at 7 p.m. Should this not
be the case, the collaborator should record the program according to
the standard evening news time of his/her country).

* Once recorded I will collect all the participating countries TV news
and display it in a video installation,with a channel for each TV set
and a TV set for each country

* The countries whose TV news are needed for the project should fall
within one or more of the following categories :

-countries with international or regional influence;
-countries possessing a distinctive character or representing a
different perspective than Western mainstream in terms of politics,
religious beliefs, style of life or cultural aspects;
-countries playing an important role in regional conflicts.

* The recording should begin a little before the program so to make
sure that the opening titles are included.

* The length should include the whole broadcast of the news, including
the weather forecast at the end, in case this should follow immediately
after.

(Therefore it is safe to assume it will need a 180 minute
videocassette.)

* Each program will be kept in its original language and the contents
will be translated into Chinese, English, Arabic and Russian in an
accompanying brochure to be distributed to the public.

RECORDING FORMAT

The accepted format for the video-tapes are : VHS, SVHS, Hi8, Mini
Digital Cassette, U-Matic or Betacam. The program can be taped directly
through any means offered by the public television network. The content
should be continuous and complete, and the sound and image should as
clear as possible.

PARTICIPATION IS STILL NEEDED FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES:

ASIA: Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Turkey, Lebanon, Palestine, Saudi
Arabia, Jordan, Syria, Philippines.

EUROPE: Northern Ireland, Yugoslavia, Greece, Romania, Poland, Ukraine,
Russia.

AFRICA: Angola, Nigeria , Somalia, Rwanda, Uganda, Congo, Central
African Republic, Zambia, Libya, Algeria, Guinea, Cameroon, Sudan,
Mozambique.

AMERICA: Mexico, Panama, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Cuba,
Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Uruguay.

OCEANIA: Fiji.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

The names of all participants will be printed in a special brochure
presented together with the piece, unless you prefer to remain
anonymous.

The documents generated in the process of obtaining each
video-cassette will also be exhibited with the work after receiving
permission from each collaborator.

EXPENSES

I will reimburse each collaborator for the expenses encountered for the
taping and shipping of the cassettes.

The success of the project relies upon our collaboration

Thanking you in advance for your support.

INTERESTED PARTIES CONTACT

Zhang Peili
October 1999,
Hangzhou,
China

Mail Address:Hangzhou Arts and Crafts School
Hangzhou 310016
People's Republic of China
Telephone/fax number: 0086-(0)571-6955193

E-mail:  Zpeili@163.net

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

NEW MEDIA: Working Practices in the Electronic Arts

Please see the research results which are now posted on our web site at:

www.lse.ac.uk/depts/gender/newmedia

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

I want to set up a web page with my art work. I do not want to use my own pc
as a server, however, I would love a web site with my own domain name. Does
anyone know how to get this?? If not, does anyone know a good place to get a
web page space from. I want to pay for the space as I do not want ads on my
site.

Thanks,
        Dean
     New York City