Robert Atkins on Mon, 27 Sep 1999 02:52:20 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Giuliani: "If I can do it, it's not art."

/* was: Mayor from Hell */

"Last time I checked, I'm the Mayor....People have an absolute right to
express anything they want to express, but they do not have an absolute
right to have that funded by the taxpayers...Anything that I can do isn't
art. If I can do it, it's not art, because I'm not much of an artist. And I
could figure out how to put this together. You know, if you want to throw
dung at something, i could figure out how to do that."
Rudolph W. Giuliani, NY Times Sept 24

New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani defending his threat to cut off city funding
for the Brooklyn Museum because he didn't like some of the art depicted in
the catalogue for the about-to-open "Sensations" show. (Out of date, young
Brit art from the Saatchis no less--and alas no more.) Of course it's
simply a desperate attempt to defeat Hillary Clinton in New York's
senatorial race. Although he'll lose in a minute in the courts, Giuliani
still has the right--a sort of line item veto--to defund this worthy museum
until the next mayor is in office.

You can help us in New York, by emailing the Mayor--at
giuliani@www.ci.nyc.ny.us--and telling this spawn (spore?) from Hell that
he has no right deciding what adults can or cannot see in a museum. Or
anything else you feel called upon to say. By email you needn't note
whether you're a voting New Yorker or not.

Robert Atkins

voice: 212.662.2961
fax:   212.222.4524
email: robertatkins@earthlink.net