cisler on Mon, 20 Sep 1999 01:38:35 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> letter from a publisher

I have had constant battles over the years with publishers, usually
academic ones who want your work for free but want you to sign exclusive
agreements that include vague and perpetual electronic rights too.

I have two feelings about publishing, and they co-exist.  I'm glad that
people can read stuff for free. That's why I like www.firstmonday.dk where
I published my Letter from Southeast Asia:

http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue4_9/cisler/

However, if there is money in the information chain (above distribution
costs) I'd expect to get some.  You may have noted the problems that
contributors to Linux had in buying stock before the offering at Red Hat.
The company's gestures were fine, but not everybody was able to take part.

With regards to my own arguments with publishers, I have changed some
contracts to my benefit and withdrawn (as you did) from others.