/m/e/t/a/ on Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:55:26 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> 666

we surround ourselves with an animated webwork of complex, powerful, and
unseen forces that even the "experts" can't totally comprehend. Our
technological environment may soon appear to be as strangely sentient as
the caves, lakes, and forests in which the first magicians glimpsed the
gods.

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/2103/barcodes.html

http://patents.uspto.gov/cgi-bin/ifetch4?ENG+PATBIB-ALL+0+946309+0+7+25907+OF+1+
1+1+PN%2f5%2c878%2c155

Ellen Ullman suggests that where programmers go, our culture is sure to follow.

"We think we are creating a system," she writes. "But the system is also
creating us."