nettimes_digestive_system on Fri, 10 Sep 1999 02:01:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> THE CAPITALIST MUSIC INDUSTRY IS OBSOLETE (fwd)

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 13:15:33 +0000
Subject: Re: <nettime> THE CAPITALIST MUSIC INDUSTRY IS OBSOLETE (fwd)
From: "Peter Lunenfeld" <peterl@artcenter.edu>
To: nettime <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>

>today's revolutionary youth culture

Does anyone really believe that youth culture is inherently
revolutionary anymore? I'm all for more and better music (not to mention
the incarceration of A&R executives), but think the above statement
through. From the flappers and dadaists to the hippies and punks, we¹ve
counted on youth culture to rupture bourgeois entertainments. As the Sex
Pistols once shouted, "anger is an energy." What¹s happened in the past
two decades though, was corporate subversion of adolescent enthusiasm
through niche marketing: "anger is a demographic." Nostalgia for an
inherently "revolutionary" youth culture may have its appeal, but it
plays directly into consumerism's exploitative traps.

Peter Lunenfeld

[mod note: minor correction - 'anger is an energy' is from the Public
Image Limited song 'Rise', not the Sex Pistols]