nettime maillist on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:26:33 +0200 (CEST)

Ivogram (3x) (fwd)

<nettime-l-temp@material.net> is the temporary home of the nettime-l list
while desk.nl rebuilds its list-serving machine.  please continue to send
messages to <nettime-l@desk.nl> and your commands to <majordomo@desk.nl>.
nettime-l-temp should be active for approximately 2 weeks (11-28 Jun 99).

1...........The right to self-determination
2...........Prince Alexander: Manifesto To All in Yugoslavia
3...........(Fwd) Women for Women: Kosovo Appeal

From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 01:55:58 -0400
Subject: The right to self-determination

Belgrade urbane opposition always reminded me of their Zagreb counterparts.
Only they were even more sycophantic. It seems that they liked the idea of
being the opposition so much that whenever they would get near to the
possibility of taking over some power and adjoining responsibility on their
own - they forfeited that chance for a cozy job inside the Milosevic
regime.

Even now when there was practically general consensus among Serbs that
Milosevic should resign (there is a petition around and practically
everybody including church, local authorities, academics, prince Alexandar
and parts of the military are in favor of it) - Vuk Draskovic kept timidly
silent until he was pre-empted by his own following in one of the
supposedly staunchest Milosevic's strongholds in the backwaters of South
Serbia: Leskovac.

A TV technician pre-recorded himself calling people to the streets, then he
waited for the prime time moment - the play-offs of local basketball teams
- and he cut the game off the air to play his tape. The people listened to
his appeal. Milosevic's television, for years used to condition Serbs to
support him in his idiocy, was thus turned against him. Maybe NATO would
have more success orchestrating such actions instead of bombing
transmitters.

Serbs, otherwise, are not particularly angry on NATO bombing Milosevic's
television: in fact, they (the returning unpaid angry reservists) just blew
up TV station Galaksija 32, the media stronghold of Milosevic supporters in
Cacak, which apparently went overlooked by NATO strategists.

But they are angry about the destroyed factories, lost jobs, destroyed fuel
and power supply, looming famine and potential danger of disease. They do
not actually make the connection between the current situation and their
past support for Milosevic during his actions in reference to Slovenia,
Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo, but they overwhelmingly blame him and not NATO
for the evident losses. It seems obvious to everybody that he pushed them
in a war which they did not have any chance of winning.

After moving a substantial number of troops to Montenegro to protect his
remaining perceived assets, Milosevic "offered" Russia and Belorussia a
federation... But Yeltsin is now deep in Kosovo - his troops control
Pristina airport and he got NATO to take his troops in ALL zones of
control, which makes Kosovo then a UN instead of NATO protectorate. Now,
obviously he can't at the same time ally Russia with NATO and with
Milosevic. It is not that difficult to see who's gonna come as a looser out
of this.

-/-

Meanwhile refugees from Albania and Macedonia are returning to Kosovo - too
fast. The international agencies are simple not ready to support all of
them returning to the scorched Kosovo. Then, there was that improbable
impasse with Pristina's airport in which neighboring countries (possibly
prompted by NATO) denied Russia flying over their airspace to resupply
their troops in Pristina, and Russians kept the airport closed, so the
relief agencies lacked supplies needed to handle the massive refugee
return... (i.e. Russian "surprise" move worked well for them).

A friend of mine who now works in Tirana what he used to do once in Zagreb,
tells me that Kosovar refugees are running back to Kosovo, terrified by the
Albanian society, which apparently is worse than anybody expected - in
terms of lack of government, lawlessness, abject poverty, illiteracy, and
other maladies usually attributed to the sub-Saharan countries. He says
Tirana is to Zagreb what Zagreb is to New York. Now, I know Zagreb and I
know New York...

-/-

Kosovo does not suffer the lack of government. It actually has three
paralel governments: the Serbian "governor" is still there, but his rule is
confined to his office (and that is limited, too - NATO just assigned a few
guards to watch over him so that he does not shred any documents); the NATO
military and the UN civilian rulers are there (the "proconsul" role will
eventually land in a lap of a Frenchman who was the first Minister of
Humanitarian Affairs in France and, as a matter of fact, in the world: now
he gets what he fought for...); then there is KLA: KLA, that as recent as
in February last year was called a terrorist organization by a high-ranking
American official, is everywhere, they generally took over control over the
community. Border between Albania and Kosovo is not guarded by anybody.
Kosovars started using Albanian money (not that it is much better than
Serbian, so I believe that DM and $ are still more preferred) - and that
was the last vestige of Serbian sovereignty in Kosovo. Albanian educated
Thaci surrounded himself with younger Albanian emigrees from the U.S. and
Germany. The hate crimes committed by KLA against Serbs and other Kosovo
minorities are on the rise. Virtually all the same methods that we saw in
Croatian or Bosnian retribution against Serbs in Krajina and Sarajevo,
respectively, are carried on to the letter, most notably confiscating of
real estate. The West tries to curb KLA excesses but the KLA got accepted
as the least of many evils plaguing the region. KLA has following in
Albania and among Albanians in Macedonia, opening an interesting and
somewhat terrifying perspective in which Kosovo becomes independent and
"acquires" Albania and takes over a part of Macedonia. Moreover, KLA never
gave up the struggle for independence. They signed the Rambouillet
agreement which promised them the referendum for independence in three
years and they are gearing up for that. They never signed the Petersen
agreement that omits the referendum clause. In fact NATO signed a different
agreement with KLA Albanians and different agreement with Milosevic Serbs -
letting KLA have their independence and letting Milosevic retain control
over Kosovo. This, however, is irreconcillable and in 3 years one side will
have to prevail. KLA already has its license plates and stickers, and you
can even see them on some cars in New Jersey and in the city of New York
(not a big surprise given the number of construction contractors from the
city in the KLA).

ivo

ps
I beleive that the right to self-determination should not apply solely on
the large groups like nations or ethnic entities, but also on each and
every inidvidual, making us all humans, citizens of the Planet Earth, born
with the right to choose to live and move wherever we determine most
fitting for us. This view, however, is still far from being accepted even
in the most developed world's countries, who fear immigration from the
countries impoverished by their development. 19 countries that form NATO
are mostly former colonial masters. In India, on the other hand, for
example more than a half of the population makes less than a $1 a day.