nettime maillist on Tue, 6 Jul 1999 01:08:42 +0200 (CEST)

Ronda Hauben: ICAAN [digest]

<nettime-l-temp@material.net> is the temporary home of the nettime-l list
while desk.nl rebuilds its list-serving machine.  please continue to send
messages to <nettime-l@desk.nl> and your commands to <majordomo@desk.nl>.
nettime-l-temp should be active for approximately 2 weeks (11-28 Jun 99).

1.....Debate over Internet history
2.....roblem of U.S. government and ICANN

Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:51:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ronda Hauben <ronda@umcc.ais.org>
To: nettime@desk.nl
Subject: Debate over Internet history

Following is a discussion from the IFWP list about ICANN and the debate
about whether there has to be a legitimate way to protect the essential
functions of the Internet like the IP number system, DNS system, root
server system, protocol process, rather than putting them under the control
of an illegitimate and secretive entity like ICANN:

"A.M. Rutkowski" <amr@netmagic.com> writes:

>I would argue that no one should have "the authority to make exclusive
>assignment of Internet identifiers." Indeed, there is no such thing. You
>can today use any identifier you choose - and many institutions do.
>However, unless you have made special arrangements, your traffic might not
>end up in the right place. As a shared user network, the users vote as to
>whose identifier system is used and on what terms, not some higher
>authority - ICANN or otherwise.

The point is that unique global identifiers are needed for IP number as
part of TCP/IP.

That that is how the protocol was designed.

Tony would you claim that there shouldn't be any exclusive assignment of
license plate numbers as well?

The Internet flourished because computer scientists were able to play a
crucial role as part of a government entity.

The Internet isn't some wild and wooley west. It grew up as a
communications system because of the collaboration of government and
scientists and those operating the computers and the networks, etc.

Isn't it necessary to figure out what made this collaboration possible and
do something to build on those lessons, rather than pretending that the
Internet is some figment of someone's imagination and one can make up any
means one wants to manipulate it.

Ronda

Netizens: On the History and Impact
of Usenet and the Internet