nettime on Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:48:03 +0200 (CEST)

Geert Lovink: (fwd) BENEVOLENCE 2: LL:ART: Men of shrivelledhearts

<nettime-l-temp@material.net> is the temporary home of the nettime-l list
while desk.nl rebuilds its list-serving machine.  please continue to send
messages to <nettime-l@desk.nl> and your commands to <majordomo@desk.nl>.
nettime-l-temp should be active for approximately 2 weeks (11-28 Jun 99).

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:18:37 +0200 (CEST)
From: Geert Lovink <geert@xs4all.nl>
To: nettime-l@desk.nl
Subject: BENEVOLENCE 2 - Fw: LL:ART: Men of shrivelled hearts

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 01:19:17 +1000
From: rc-am <rcollins@netlink.com.au>

[Recently, a group of Kosovar refugees protested against the conditions at
their 'safe haven' in Australia - a drafty army barracks in winter, with no
heating, inside toilets or water.   The refugees insisted that this was no
different to the conditions in the camps on the Yugoslav border, and they
wanted to return home.  The government said they could only return home if
they paid their own way.  After ministerial harassment (including claims that
they should not complain because the Australian govt was paying), there was
some upgrading of conditions.   Much media time was taken up with the
predictable whine that the refugees were "ungrateful".   The protestors were
ground down, except for one family who continued to refuse to stay, and were
eventually allowed to return to Kosovo.  The article below also refers to the
forced deportation of a woman to China, whom the govt is refusing to
recognise as a refugee even though shortly after she arrived in China she was
forced to abort close to term.  Philip Ruddock, btw, is the Federal
Immigration Minister.   - Angela]