brian carroll on Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:31:16 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> architectural interfacing

=\______________________________________________________\
 |the following is a compilation of architectural research
 |on the Internet, addressing the relationship between humans,
 |nature, and the built environment. this includes a wide-range
 |of research papers and articles addressing technology, networks,
 |media, art, science, philosophy, mediated in architectural terms.
=|if you have links, please e-mail them to: human@architexturez.com

       \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 see -- R E S E A R C H -- section; http://www.architexturez.com
       ////////////////
bc
			'..hack and crack the architectural code...
:..................................................................

 24 kilobyte   e x c a v a t i o n   0 5 - 1 9 9 9
__________________________________________________________________(
\/----------------------------------------------------------------/
/----------------------------------------------------------------/

Composition of the City
an exploratory essay. [ ab ]
Processes in Indian Architectural History
"the History of Representation in Indian Architecture
since the 1880s"
[ ab ]
the 'Form' of Theory in Classical Hindu Architecture
"Architecture as an Ideographic/Ideogrammatic System." [ ab ]
Architecture of the Virtual Community
"How will advances in communication technology affect architecture
and its future?" [Jonathon Bell]
RealSpace in Quicktimes - or: Can architecture go Digit-all?
"This is the complete text of the book 'RealSpace in Quicktimes :
 architecture and digitalization' translated from Dutch to English.
[Ole Bouman]
America
"This paper presents observations from a recent study tour of the
 south west of the United States. It attempts a tentative
classification of urban forms in which consumption -
particularly of the leisure experience -
is the primary function." [Alan Reeve]
QUANTUM ENVIRONMENTS
"URBAN DESIGN IN THE POST-CARTESIAN PARADIGM" [Ayssar Arida]
Shaping Our Communities: The Impacts of Information-Technology
"This Resource Guide is designed to get you thinking about the
 impacts that telecommunications and information technology will
have on our communities." [Planning Commissioners Journal]
Megacities, world cities and global cities
a Megacities lecture. [Peter Hall]
Urban Economies and Fading Distances
a Megacities lecture. [Saskia Sassen]
The Novelty of Convenience:
The Attraction within the Attraction
"The purpose of this study will be to map the
spatial relationships established by specific thematic
 novelties (i.e. concession carts and souvenir shacks)
 that are scattered throughout the synthetic
 wonder world of the Magic Kingdom." [John Southern]
The Moment-Event and Elapsed-Collapsed Time
"This study investigates imposing moments, as defined by the
identity of place, and their positioning relative to the elastic
 strand of the theme park experience." (click "research project")
 [Jamie Palazzolo]
Japanese Theme Parks: Shikoku Mura
"an HTML essay." [Miodrag Mitrasinovic]
Theme Parks_Postmodern Landscapes
"This research identifies and anaylzes theme parks as a
contemporary architectural typology operating within a
self-created, all-including mythological microcosm."
[Miodrag Mitrasinovic]
Theme Park_Heterotopia in a Themed Mode
"This is a brief web-presentation of Theme Parks,
a doctoral dissertation." [Miodrag Mitrasinovic]
Design in Virtual Environments Using Architectural Metaphor
"This thesis explores the application and limitations of
architectural metaphor in the design of virtual
environments." [Dace Campbell]
Virtual Architecture
"This is the first of a series of essays investigating the
potential impact virtual reality technologies will have on
architecture and its related design professions."
[Dace Campbell]
The Nature of Cyberspace
"This is the second of a series of essays investigating the
 potential impact virtual reality technologies will have
on architecture and its related design professions."
[Dace Campbell]
Virtual Reality: Destroyer of Architecture?
"This is the third in a series of essays investigating the
potential impact that virtual reality technologies may
have on architecture and its related design professions."
[Dace Campbell]
A Critique of Virtual Reality in the Architectural Design
Process "This paper describes the role of VR in schematic design,
through design development to presentation and evaluation."
[Dace Campbell & Maxwell Wells]
Design Research
experimental architecture for colonizing Mars.
[Digital Design Studio]
TVthesis
analysis of television architectures. [jean-paul leonard]
[fold text]
Critical Analysis of "Folding in Time" by Peter Eisenman
(~choose from dropdown menu~). [ sgp ]
Meta-Reasoning Architecture
"The objective of this document is to provide some rational,
structured access to an analysis of cognitive and agent
architectures." [Robert Wray, Ron Chong, Joseph Phillips,
Seth Rogers, and Bill Walsh]
A Survey of Cognitive and Agent Architectures
"The objective of this document is to provide some rational,
structured access to an analysis of cognitive and agent
architectures." [Robert Wray, Ron Chong, Joseph Phillips,
Seth Rogers, and Bill Walsh]
NATURAL RESOURCES, GADGETS, AND ARTIFICIAL LIFE
a paper from a conference on environmental justice.
[Steven Luper]
Beyond Rhetoric
A Personal Quest for an Organic Architecture. [ md ]
The Use and Abuse of Photography in Architecture
from Columbia University's Precis architectural publication.
[Ali Malik]
Thoughts on a Digital Practice
from Columbia University's Precis architectural publication.
[Cory Clarke]
Common Ground
A Pattern Language for Human-Computer Interface Design.
[Jenifer Tidwell]
Archaeo-spatial Europe
Should Europe be a nature park, or a heritage park? It should
 be neither, but that is the choice that is being imposed.
False ethical arguments are used by the (archaeological)
heritage lobby. Yet there is no ethical objection to
destroying heritage. [Paul Treanor]

Architecture of Cyberspace
an architectural thesis examining cyberspace.
 [Torbjørn Caspersen]
Architecture in the Age of Hyperreality
an essay on Architronic. [Stanley Mathews]
The Logic of Networks : Social Landscapes vis-a-vis
the Space of Flows a CTheory article of Manuel Castells work.
[Felix Stalder]
Transmitting Architecture : The Transphysical City
an article for CTheory. [Marcos Novak]
The Architectonality of Psychogeographicism or
The Hieroglyphics of Driftwork
an exploratory essay. [Hakim Bey]
Arteology; or the Science of Artefacts
an extensive overview of design research and analysis.
[Pentii Routio]
Design Theory of Architecture
Historical Development of the Theory of Architecture.
[Pentii Routio]
Semiotics Of Artefacts
part of the Paradigms of Research series.
[Pentii Routio]
Arteology; the Science of Design
an essay on design theory. [Pentii Routio]
On the Rumor of Functional Perfection
an article originally published in Pro Forma.
[Jan Michl]
Form follows What?
The modernist notion of function as a carte blanche.
[Jan Michl]
The notion of "skyline" in urban-thinking and
urban-making process (Approach to the semiotics of cityscape).
[Grigory E. Ignatov, Oksana V. Maslovskaya]
Manifesto
a manifesto on architecture, urbanism, biology,
and computer science. [Nikos A. Salingaros]
The Laws of Architecture from a Physicist's Perspective
"Three architectural laws follow from how matter comes
together to form coherent structures; they are satisfied
by most buildings in history up to (but excluding)
the twentieth century." [Nikos A. Salingaros]
Life and Complexity in Architecture From a Thermodynamic
Analogy
"A visual model computes numerical estimates for the
comparative degree of organized complexity, or "life"
of buildings, and contrasts this with the disorganized
complexity." [Nikos A. Salingaros]
A Scientific Basis for Creating Architectural Forms
"A scaling rule is proposed for architectural elements
based on the scaling factor e = 2.718, the base for
natural logarithms, and this is compared to the
Fibonacci sequence." [Nikos A. Salingaros]
Architecture, Patterns, and Mathematics
"The elimination of visual patterns in twentieth
century architecture could be handicapping people's
capacity for mathematical thinking, which works
strictly in terms of patterns." [Nikos A. Salingaros]
Hierarchical Cooperation of Architectural Scales,
and the Mathematical Necessity for Ornament
"Integrated structures follow the theory of hierarchical
 systems, developed in computer science and biology,
showing how architectural ornament on the scales
1cm - 2m is necessary for coherence." [Nikos A. Salingaros]
An Absolute Measure of Design: the Architectural Temperature
"The architectural temperature T measures the degree of detail,
curvature, and color in a design; we argue that human beings
connect only to objects that have a high value of Temperature."
[Nikos A. Salingaros]
Theory of the Urban Web
"Graph theory is used to show that a living city depends on
an enormous number of different paths, and how the evolution
of an urban region from "dead" to "alive" is sudden."
[Nikos A. Salingaros]
Urban Space and its Information Field
"Urban space is characterized by the information field
generated by surrounding surfaces, and this in turn
determines where paths and local nodes develop in the
open space." [Nikos A. Salingaros]
Ecology and the Fractal Mind in the New Architecture:
A Conversation
"Covers topics such as how our fractal mind influences
fractal qualities in man-made structures such as buildings
and artworks. Touches on Jungian archetypes, and analyzes
 how the Modernist anti-fractal attitude is antithetical
to ecological thinking." [Nikos A. Salingaros and Victor Padrón]
A Universal Rule for the Distribution of Sizes
"Most pleasing objects and designs obey an inverse power-law
 distribution in their subdivisions, which is a widely-observed
 relationship in both the natural and social sciences. Modernist
 design grossly violates this rule."
[Nikos A. Salingaros and Bruce J. West]
Complexity and Urban Coherence
"The theory of complex interacting systems, developed in
biology and computer science, is applied to urban design.
Coherence results from intense local couplings, and
long-range connections that reduce disorder."
[Nikos A. Salingaros]
The Structure of Pattern Languages
"Patterns encapsulate information about recurring solutions;
here we discuss techniques for linking observed patterns
to create a language that brings all the patterns together."
[Nikos A. Salingaros]
Architecture, Ecology, and Equity
an essay on Environmental Justice, Cities, and Planning.
[Michael Wigginton]
On Technological Time: Cruising Virilio's Over-Exposed City
an essay on urban planner Paul Virilio. [McKenzie Wark]
The Semi-Urban Landscape
an essay on landscape and the built environment.
[James W. Fonseca]
The Communication Revolution and Older Metropolitan Areas
an essay on planning. [James C. Hughes]
Restructuring the City
Thoughts on Urban Patterns in the Information Society.
 [Ken Friedman]
Principles of Evolutionary Architecture
14 architectural design principles. [Eugene Tsui]
Geographic Information Systems as an Integrating Technology
Context, Concepts, and Definitions of GIS technology and
its application. [Kenneth E. Foote and Margaret Lynch]
Machine Space
A Case Study in Urbanization and Environment.
[Kenneth E. Foote and Shannon Crum]
Hypersurface Architecture
an overview of Hypersurface geometries
for Mediamatic magazine. [spN]
Beyond Blade Runner: Urban Control
a synoposis of The Ecology of Fear for Mediamatic magazine.
[Mike Davis]

Architectural Anthropology: a manifesto
an analysis of Nold Egenter's work
by the Semiotic Review of Books. [Kenneth E. Foote]
Theorizing the Contemporary
transcript of a lecture given at Columbia University.
"the digitalization of history could be the topic
of this presentation..." [Christian Girard]
The Politics of Complexity in Architecture
an essay on complexity and architecture. [Christian Girard]
Architome
archive of architectural articles. [ jya ]
Cryptome
archive of information technology and
 cryptography news and views. [ jya ]
The Timepiece of Humanity - The Calendar Incarnate
a work-in-progress on the theory of chronosomatics.
[ lauf-s ]
Encyclopedia Ichnographiam
deciphering the meaning of the Campo Marzio.
[ lauf-s ]
Quondam
a virtual museum of architecture.
[ lauf-s ]
de|con-structing the Wherehouse
comparitive analysis between an opera house
and a music-video store. [ bc ]
Did Rock Art Copy Fibroconstructive Art?
Semantic architecture and the interpretation of
prehistoric rock art -
An ethno-(pre-)historical approach. [ ne ]
History of Technology research
character input, natural language processor, species
substitute, hunter hunter, scopes beacon and more. [ cc ]
Habitat Anthropology and the Anthropological Definition
of Material Culture
On the way towards an anthropological prehistory. [ ne ]
Semantic Architecture and the Birth of Script
A theory of the origins of writing based on
architectural anthropology. [ ne ]
Axioms and Definitions
Axiomatic Systems, Concepts, Knowledge and Truth. [ ~g ]
Epistemic Truth Table
a brief discussion and clarification of the
epistemological status of various sorts of
ideas/propositions. [ ~g ]
Interactivity and Control
the Aesthetics of Real Space Interactives.
[Ted Kruger]
Like a Second Skin
Metadermis: Intelligence and Interactivity in Architecture.
[Ted Krueger]
Autonomous Architecture
Robotics, Sensors. [Ted Krueger]
Architecture of Symbiosis
Paper submitted to the Proceedings of the
8th International Symposium on Electronic Art.
[Ted Krueger]
Cityspace, Cyberspace, and The Spatiology of Information
Invited lecture delivered at the "New Urbanism Symposium."
[Michael Benedikt]
Less for Less Yet: On Architecture's Value(s)
in the Marketplace
an article for Harvard Design Magazine. [Michael Benedikt]
Physics for Phantoms
an article appearing in Softworlds Inc. [Michael Benedikt]
metaphors, architectures, and cyberspaces - an introduction
[Serena Lin]
The Urban Rural Dichotomy
Do the Humanities live with historistic speculations?
 An outlook on Megalopolis-problems. [ ne ]
Ohmihachiman - The (Medieval) Foundation of a Town
A cross-cultural theoretical model (Asian Studies). [ ne ]
Rene Magritte The Architecturologist
Regarding the complementary structure of architectural
 space in the paintings of Rene Magritte. [ ne ]
The Metabolism of Form in Ancient Architecture
Critical review of the art historian's interpretation
 of the oeuvre of Gottfried Semper and the implications
 of his concept for research into architectural anthropology.
[ ne ]

  ___
 /o o\
 \ ^ /