nettime's_dusty_archivist on Thu, 13 May 1999 23:46:35 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ADVISORY, not for publication

     [from <http://jya.com/rfurl-dc.htm>; see also
      <http://jya.com/crypto.htm>]

Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:07:23 +0100
To: jya@pipeline.com
From: Duncan Campbell <duncan@gn.apc.org>
Subject: NEWSFLASH - can you put this up???

British government tries to censor Internet information about secret agents

On Wednesday afternoon, the British government's press censorship
organisation distributed a warning to British media outlets not to tell
their audiences about a new US web site that lists British secret agents.

Here is the government order sent to media outlets in the UK at about 0700
EDT, Wednesday 12 May.

What is the secret URL that they are trying to censor news from.  Does
anyone know?

If you do, please tell mailto:iptv@cwcom.net [and to jy@jya.com]  This is the
notice.     Duncan Campbell

ADVISORY, not for publication:

We have been asked by the secretary of the Defence, Press and Broadcasting
Advisory Committee to publish the following:

FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALL EDITORS FROM SECRETARY DEFENCE, PRESS &
BROADCASTING ADVISORY COMMITTEE

I understand that a US-based website has today published on the internet a
list which identifies a large number of SIS (MI6) officers.

Defence Advisory Notice No 6 asks editors and programme makers to seek
advice before publishing such details unless they have been widely
disclosed or discussed as such action could put lives at risk.

Departmental officers are examining how the damage of this disclosure can
be minimised. While this is in progress, I would ask that editors do not
interpret the information in the website as being widely disclosed and do
not, therefore, publish the address or the content of the website without
first contacting the D Notice Secretary, Rear Admiral David Pulvertaft

---