McKenzie Wark on Sat, 8 May 1999 10:10:53 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Pyrotechnic Insanitarium

A review of Mark Dery's new book, The Pyrotechnic
Insanitarium, published by Grove Press
McKenzie Wark

Flipping through anthologies of what are dubiously
labelled The 'Best American Essays' is a bit like drinking
luke warm milky tea with too much sugar. Except for
the time Susan Sontag edited a volume in this series,
they have always struck me as examples of the American
essay in its most diluted form.

If you want a good strong mug of Joe to hyper-caffeinate
the mind, you have to go to American essayists who
don't serve up that special blend of mediocrity and
manners brewed up by those tepid 'Best American'
anthologies.

High on my list of literary heart starters is Mark Dery,
well known to Nettime readers from his contributions
to 21C, and for his previous book Escape Velocity. In that
one, he picked over all varieties of cyberhype,
technoboosting and info flim flam. In his new collection,
The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium, the whole of American
culture goes into the Dery trash compactor.

"All over the world, America stands for fun and death:
Disneyland and the death penalty, Big Macs and murder.
Surely its significant that, as of 1992, America's two top
export items were military hardware and 'entertainment
products', in that order", Dery writes. Not to mention
Stealth bombers and sneaking blow jobs in the Oval
office.

Dery approaches America's "cultural landfill", from
trashy movies to cult comic books, as a "a zero-tolerance
critic of the growing encroachment of corporate influence
on our everyday lives". There's always something a bit
untimely about Dery. In conversation, he is the only man
alive to have mastered hypertext in spoken form. And yet
his language cojoins 18th century arcana with 21st century
sound bites. He describes Insanitarium as "an obsolete
hunk of dead-tree hardware that went to sleep and
dreamed it was a Web page."

The "no fly zone" between high and low culture is where
Dery performs his textual aerobatics. He covers a lot of
territory, connecting the most unlikely points in an
American landscape, the contours of which he hugs
instinctively.

What emerges is an America were the Unabomber is the
Log Lady's dysfunctional cousin, and a maker of
"exploding Joseph Cornell boxes". Where Oklahoma city
bomber Timmothy McVeigh's conspiracy theories "read
like an X-Files script written by Thomas Pynchon."
Where the obsessives who mine the Warren
Commission Report on the Kennedy assassination are
America's home grown deconstructionists, and where the
26 volume report is "the Finnegan's Wake of paranoid
America."

Dery does what 'postmodern' essayists used to do best. He
folds irony over on itself. He makes irony ironic. By
folding the layers of prejudice and distinction and
discrimination that constitute 'taste' against each other,
he produces moments of distance and clarity, within
which the writer can reveal the connections between his
-- and our -- little corner of the cultural themepark and
the rest of the world.

Irony might not be much of a tool against the "oozing
insinuation of the mass media, blob-like, into every
corner of the public arena." But then, who you gonna
call? "Irony is a leaky prophylactic against consumerism,
conformity and other social diseases" but its all we've got
to stop us being "sucked, Poltergeist-like, into the vast
wasteland on the other side of the screen."

There's a strong moralist streak to Dery, but it isn't the
"pathological puritanism" of the right wing pundits. The
repression and denial of the dark and sticky side of life is
for Dery part of the problem. "Always, the beast is closer
than we know". A classic Dery technique is to start from
whatever tepid-tea essayists find distasteful and sink his
teeth into it.

He's good on any kind of freak or boundary crosser, like
the kind who appear on talk shows, and give talk shows
their bad name among the literary jigglers and danglers.
"Daytime talkshows are equal parts geek show, peep show
and Gong Show, made morally palatable by a gooey icing
of psycho-babble. The deeper questions are: What is the
chattering class really saying when it reviles these
programs as 'freak shows'? Who decides who's a freak?
And why are freaks so threatening?"

This is the Achemedian point to which only irony can
lever us -- the point where there is not just a
consideration of what is good taste and what is bad taste,
but a questioning of who gets to make the distinction. In
the knee-jerking hatred of talkshows among the
chattering classes, Dery finds a "paroxysm of class
revulsion". Trailer trash, welfare moms, and above all
black people are to be discriminated against in the most
polite way possible, by discriminating against their
cultural tastes.

The trouble with taste is that the distinctions on which
the 'cultured' middle classes built their respectable
prejudice are coming unglued. Nobody seems to know
what's high or low -- everything feels so slippy. It gets
harder and hard to strain out the impurities. The result is
a constant anxiety about separation. "The Brita filter is
our fallout shelter, the existential personal flotation
device of the nervous nineties." Everybody knows that
the wealth of what's left of the middle class rests on a
mountain of industrial waste, and that kitsch is as
omnipresent as airborne contaminants, but nobody wants
to admit it.

"If there's a message here, it's that we're going to have to
make our peace with the repressed, whether its the body
and all it implies (defecation, sex, disease, old age, and
death) or the solid waste and toxic runoff of consumer
culture and industrial production." Or in short, "it's high
time we grew up, already."

Growing up, for Dery, is ending middle class denial,
accepting the fact of the trash pile on which class privilege
rests, studying the landfill for clues as to the process by
which the turbulent, chaotic surfaces of consumer culture
spew forth from the industrial world. Dery is one of those
rare writers with a deep enough insight into the
American soul, with an eloquence in all its stuttering
dialects, to look America in its dark and gazeless eye, and
not blink.

Mark Dery, The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American
Culture on the Brink, Grove Press

McKenzie Wark is senior lecturer in media studies at
Macquarie University, and is the author, most recently,
of Celebrities, Culture & Cyberspace, published by Pluto
Press Australia

nnnn