Presidential Explorations and Maneuvers on Wed, 5 May 1999 05:21:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Foreign Policy - U.S. Aid - Two Americans trapped in Egypt.....

     [orig To: <Jim Sorenson <sorenson@infinity.com.eg>,
           CC: <sorenson@cairo-egypt.com>]

Dear Jim, Sandra, the "Fluff," and assorted companies doing petroleum
business in Egypt,

Thank you for your letter about your very serious difficulties over
there in Egypt.

Let us back up for a moment, and start right at the beginning. As you
suggest, a foreign policy is an essential component of any government. A
government, in dealing with the world, must have principles and
guidelines, and must take more than a few things into consideration. All
in all, embassies, consulates, governmental and quasi-governmental
foreign policy institutes, and so on must be extensive, entrenched, and
exceedingly well developed. All of these must attend to issues
relentlessly and carefully, and weigh them with rigor. Only after
weighing these things can decisions be reached.

All of this, of course, sets the stage for the question: what should a
hypothetical government's foreign policy be? To narrow this issue to the
matter at hand, let us assume a government which in some manner
represents people--a democracy. Let us also assume the existence of a
wide, unruly world (e.g. Serbia, Iraq, Somalia, Guatemala--or Egypt).
What should the democracy's policy be, towards that unruly world (e.g.
Egypt)? How should it take that world (e.g. Egypt) into account, and
deal with it? How, moreover, should it encourage others to deal with it?

Now upon this basis, we can address your particular situation in greater
detail. Egypt--or, more precisely, the "development" and
"intensification" of petroleum-oriented efforts within Egypt, which you
are earnestly engaged in promoting, as a member of America's "front-
line" elite units of investors, developers, and promoters--has a very
important place within any respectable, democratic government's foreign
policy. What should be its place within ours?

To answer this question is no simple matter! But if we are to attempt it
at all, we must begin at the beginning. Since we are speaking of a
DEMOCRATIC government, we should begin with the DEMOS, the people. We
can assume, over here and over there, people, great masses of people.
Most of these people, of course, simply want to get on with their lives
and be prosperous in one way or another, to one degree or another--not
necessarily as much as possible, but certainly as much as necessary.

In the matter of this element, people, there is clearly nothing of
interest to say. People go to Egypt, they enjoy the noted ziggurats,
they swim in the Volga, they attend to the hippos lolling about in Lake
Mead and think of all the glorious history enmeshed in these things. The
Egyptians are "OK" with this. People go and look, and pay money to look.
Egyptians take that money, and are happy to show the people around, in
exchange. They may even find some enjoyment in displaying their national
"heritage," all the biers and daises and so on for which they are
famous. All of this, of course, you know from your business that, among
other things, provides special "tours" tailored to oil executives
(http://www.cairo-egypt.com/kline.html).

But over here and over there, too, another element: corporations, and
"corporate money." There is petroleum, there is digging and prospecting
and discovering and so on. What, with "corporate money" thrown into the
equation, is to be a U.S.A. foreign policy towards that great unruly
Egypt? For the U.S. is a democracy, with the DEMOS at its core, and
corporations, as we all know, are people too, according to U.S. law. We
must pay attention to issues surrounding this money, and manage them
well.

It does sound like you are having a simply horrendous time there in your
adopted "homeland," and it is clear that money plays some part in this.
You have established companies devoted to helping "corporate money"
establish a "foothold" in Egypt--more than one, it would seem--and you
have yachts, or at least boats, that, for example, you wish to tow
through the Suez Canal. At http://www.cairo-egypt.com/index02.html we
obtain a vital clue:

       If you would like to market to the oil industry in Egypt, you
       will have all the information you need to get your company's
       brochure, price list or proposal directly to the key decision
       makers in the departments where the orders are generated. Or
       find the right agent or representative to help you establish
       a dynamic commercial presence in Egypt. Are you an
       independent contractor who is interested in advertising
       yourself and your expertise to the market here? Take a
       listing! Check our rates and advertising page for details
       about ads and listings in the Egypt Petroleum Directory.

Now the various practices this implies would of course be impossible in
the U.S.A. Egyptians, however, are used to it. This is both a "plus"
(obvious) and a "minus" (less obvious). For while most people of the
U.S.A. do not understand big corporate money--it does not affect their
day-to-day lives, and "directly to the key decision makers" does not
mean much to most Americans, in this context--most people of Egypt DO
understand big corporate money, because it does affect their day-to-day
lives, at every level, and they know exactly what "directly to the key
decision makers" means. They see American money affecting all kinds of
decisions concerning their country and lives (via the "decision
makers"), and many of these decisions are perhaps of questionable value
for them and their livelihood, especially since access to the "decision
makers" can so easily be bought. They wonder, day to day, how it is that
their wealth is so small and that of others, not even Egyptians, grows
in leaps and bounds, using their land. (We are speaking, of course, only
of Egyptians' perception of these things, not of the things themselves.
We can call this "Third-World syndrome," if we wish. It involves an
overdeveloped understanding of big corporate money, among other things.)

You too, it would seem, understand big corporate money. It has affected
you adversely. The people of Egypt, reacting badly to big corporate
money, have treated you badly, apparently mistaking you for big
corporate money and wishing to "react" or "oppose." Perhaps they think
that because you help petroleum companies get a foothold in Egypt, that
you are "in cahoots" with them. Perhaps the people of Egypt think you
are in the "Exploration Scene," which you detail with maps at
http://www.cairo-egypt.com/egypt.html. Or perhaps they think you are "in
cahoots" because, using access to "key decision makers,"

       Jim Sorenson... has been personally instrumental in
      establishing five foreign exploration companies in Egypt
      under production sharing agreements. He has also set up
      a number of service companies - for Trapetco and other
      foreign interests.

Or perhaps they are suspicious because you advertise that K-line Ltd.
(one of your companies, mentioned above)

       can provide quality representation in Egypt for companies
       wishing to do feasibility studies, establish offices,
       finalize agreements, or manage projects. We are particularly
       experienced at setting up petroleum exploration companies and
       providing the technical and administrative expertise required
       to carry operations through to production.

Perhaps the people of Egypt mistake "administrative expertise" for less
savory-sounding schemes that U.S. companies have been known for in Third
World countries. Or perhaps it is that Trapetco S.A. (another of your
companies) "has become involved in a number of oil related ventures,
representationships and pioneering investment projects in Egypt" since
1977.

Whatever the ultimate cause of your problems--whether it be your
"representationships" or just the Egyptians' reaction to them--we
suggest you have hope. It is not far from this point when, under certain
specific circumstances, the U.S.A. will step in. All you need to do is
assure the U.S. government, which ultimately controls the U.S. armed
forces and other tools for encouraging cooperation with American
business, that your situation is typical of many who wish to tow boats
through the Suez Canal, or earn lots of money in Egypt by extensive use
of the Egyptian landscape and physical heritage, via
"representationships." You must show that many others are, like you,
mistaken for big corporate money. It might help if big corporate money
decides to use you and others like you to explain its difficult position
in Egypt, to the American people. Perhaps you should speak to some of
your client companies regarding these matters. If you can get a lot of
backing and documentation of the sorts outlined in this paragraph, we
can assure you that George W. Bush, Al Gore, and others will have to do
a great deal--a very great deal--to help you.

Finally, on behalf of America, thank you foremost for your tenacity, for
insisting on remaining on Egypt, which has been very good to you in many
ways despite the beatings-up, robberies, and so on that you report at
http://www.cairo-egypt.com/trouble.html in words that make us shudder.
You are on the front line! You are there with the best of the American
soldiers, those fighting in various countries, maintaining the American
foothold where it has been established at such huge cost for so long!
Much as the U.S. government told factory workers to remain at their
posts in the event of atomic attack, we send you great big "THANKS" for
remaining at your post through these fiendish assaults on American
values, as represented by you and your ADORABLE "Fluff." May you, your
companies, and of course the "Fluff" continue to profit well and
healthily, despite these several setbacks you describe.

As Dan Quayle said, we must decide whether to look ahead to the future,
or past to the back. Only when we know this, and when we know many other
things concerning our government, will sane and wholesome foreign policy
be able to coexist with the engines of commerce and power.

Earnestly,
Roy and Liz

Presidential Explorations and Maneuvers: Your efforts redeemed
http://www.gwbush.com/

You wrote:
>Dear Governor Bush,
>
>We wish you all the best in your upcoming campaign.
>
>If and when we get out of Egypt, we will support your
>run for the Presidency with our votes and our hearts. It
>certainly is time for a change!
>
>In the meantime, we would very much appreciate if you, or
>one of your staff, could take the time to read about our
>plight in Egypt at:
>
>www.cairo-egypt.com/trouble.html
>(a private webpage)
>
>We have given so much over the years to Egypt-U.S. relations
>and to Egypt-U.S. commerce, and sadly, both governments appear to
>have entirely forsaken us.
>
>We'll still be here after the next election, and maybe your
>new government can help us, and those like us overseas, then.
>
>Best of luck.
>
>Jim Sorenson and Sandra Simpson (Mr. & Mrs)
>sorenson@cairo-egypt.com
>
>Our senators who know the whole story:
>
>Arlen Specter (R) Pennsylvania
>Rick Santorum (R) Pennsylvania
>
>P.S. Our main webpage which is not private is located
>at www.cairo-egypt.com

---