Avant-Media on Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:16:08 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Dispatch on Anti-War activity in SF

Dispatch:  ANTI-WAR ACTIVITY IN SAN FRANCISCO

This morning April 11th at noon in the rain about 200
people gathered at the BART subway plaza at 12: 00 at 24th and Mission Sts.
 to protest the NATO war on the Balkans. The crowd increased in size over
a period of about an hour as the rain let up. There were some excellent
speeches against Clinton, nuclear proliferation, environmental disaster,
the TV media, Milosevich, and others.

People chanted, carried placards, prepared for meetings to organize the
anti-war effort. There will be several major demonstrations including one
at the Fairmont Hotel where BILL CLINTON is going to be visiting this
Thursday April 15th our tax day!!! The Fairmont is probably on the web.
Please send them email protesting Clinton''s occupation of Yugoslavia.
Yesterday it was estimated in the SF Chronicle that serveral billion
dollars had already been spent on the bombings and that taxpayers here
will have to pay nearly $40, million of the cost.

CLEARLY THIS IS A SICK WAY OF DISCUSSING THE DEATH TOLL. But it may also
given the economic minded American culture be a way to stop the
bombings--if people see it as their tax money. SHAME IS GOING OUT ON THE
RADIO.

KOSOVO NOT ANOTHER WORLD WAR 2 CATASTROPHE!!!
THIS IS THE RHEITORIC OF NBC TO GAIN SUPPORT FOR THE WAR.

We will demonstrate against Clinton on Thursday morning when he is here.
We will be holding a huge demonstration on Sunday April 17th, at
noon, thats' about nine PM Kosovo time, I beleive.

People can  see that this attack is similar to the one on Iraq
a few short months ago. This is US foreign policy run amok. Leaders
being shunted into corners, getting desperate, US acting as a police
force!!!

We are doing what we can from San francisco. There was a major
deomnstration of 8,000 persons in New York City according to Gloria La
Riva and the International Action Center. There is a growing movement
here. The problem is the old fight--alternative airwaves--dominant
airwaves--getting the message out-- getting the message out and getting on
the news.

The American people are not in support of this war or other bombings for
the sake of oil and land resources! We do not want the cultural genocide--
we do not support the language of military occupation. Our country is
getting more and more conservative--wealthier and whiter--more blacks are
in jail than anyone else, more prisons are built than homes. Perhaps the
reason that the dominant media identifies this catastrophe with WWII is
because they themselves are fascists, succombed to their own
rhetoric--they kill to justify themselves.

We don not want imperialist foreign policy! We are in opposition to
this attack on Yugoslavia.

--Molly Hankwitz, writer, architect, San Francisco 1999