nettime's_indigestive_system on Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:49:17 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> yugoslovia/nato digest [gurciullo ('nixon'), ivanovic ('garvey')]

    [this is where moderation gets really hard, because it
     involves conflicting interests--and not just 'individ-
     ual' interests. as the belligerents in the war are be-
     ginning to learn, war has a way of reproducing itself.
     please ask yourself whether you want to start causing
     or furthering war on this list too. --cheers, t]

Sebastian Gurciullo <nicolajn@cassius.its.unimelb.edu.au>
          Serbian nationalism justifies mass murder?
"marcus garvey" <m-g@matgnet.com>
          Re: yugoslavia digest Thu Apr 1 [barbrook, bennahum, rolux]

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:48:23 +1000
From: Nicola Nixon <nicolajn@cassius.its.unimelb.edu.au>
Subject: Serbian nationalism justifies mass murder?

"Do we really have to be sent these paranoid rants by the
apologists for
Serbian fascism?",  wrote Richard Barbrook

Is there no-one with email access in Serbia who doesn't fall
into the position of being an apologist for Milosevic's
regime?

Does being a Serb mean that you are excused from taking
seriously the disturbing events occurring in Kosovo at the
moment?

Does Serbian patriotism include the intention of going down
in history as a supporter of a community determined to
exterminate an ethnic minority in their midst?

The general tone of emails on this list seems to suggest
that this is the case.

Angry justifications of Serbian nationalism in the face of
the current NATO military action seems to slip all too
easily into mindless propaganda and an apology for ethnic
cleansing, mass murder, terror and god knows what other evil
possibilities.

Do people wishing to identify themselves as Serbian
automatically commit themselves to defending the actions of
a Fascist Serbian government that has imposed censorship and
other dictatorial measures in order to create a distorted
picture of what is actually going on in Kosovo? Who is
willing to claim that the version of reality distributed by
this regime has anything to do with the truth?

The world is watching and waiting to see whether people who
are proud to call themselves Serbian patriots have the
courage to act now in order to avoid being identified in
future by the world community as a member of a nation that
engaged in or justified crimes against humanity.

This email is not meant to defend any particular ethnicity
or nationality in the current crisis. The aim is only to
question the disturbing way in which nationalist sentiment
becomes a de facto justification for crimes against
humanity.

Sebastian Gurciullo