Ivo Skoric on Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:56:57 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Kosovo

Gone are the times when most of Americans were blessfully ignorant of
subtle differences between Yugoslavia and let's say Moldavia.  Now,
many people, save for high-school dropouts, know even where each
major city belongs - they are able to correctly place Zagreb in
Croatia, Sarajevo in Bosnia and Belgrade in Serbia.  And even
tow-truck drivers know Milosevic and they know that he is a bad guy
and they are all psyched about the upcoming (promised) fireworks.

I doubt that the U.S. will actually bomb Serbia. Americans are
obviously reluctant to do something that would offend their European
allies including Russia. And they are also perhaps aware of the
probable ineffectiveness of such an act. Yet, of course, a superpower
cannot waver on its promises, i.e. if Milosevic continues to press
all the wrong buttons, the U.S. might be pressed to do what they
hesitate to do.

Kosovo Albanian delegation generally accepted the agreement asking to
be allowed two weeks of consultation with the people before actually
signing it. Giving up the independence struggle unequivovally might
be a hard-sell at home, though. Those two weeks however buy time for
Milosevic, too.

On top of that, his government decided to add a few days to
those two weeks, by refusing to allow the plane with Kosovo Albanian
delegation to land in Prishtina today, showing plainly who is the
boss. They will have to sleep one more night in Rambouillet and try
their luck again tommorrow.

Meanwhile, Moamer Gaddaffi asked Lybian students abroad to return
home, because the nuclear war is approaching with the development of
the situation in Kosovo.

Oh, and btw, did you know that two snakes in Belgrade ZOO have names
Madeleine and Christopher?

ivo
---------
This event will happen again on March 31; now with Kosovo
developments, it drawed passerbies attention much more than usual::

3 WOMEN IN BLACK
RACCOON, Inc.
INVITE YOU

to a Silent Vigil AGAINST VIOLENCE IN KOSOVO/A

on Wednsday, February 24th, in frotn of the New York Public Library, 5th
Avenue (between 41 and 42nd streets)from 5.30 pm until 6.30 pm .

Please wear black cloths.

For further information contact Indira at (212) 598-0954.
http://balkansnet.org/raccoon/kosovo.html