Ivo Skoric on Mon, 30 Nov 1998 05:33:16 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Monitor 2

Milosevic's days now may be numbered. As I wrote in my previous
dispatch, banning the Montenegrin magazine in Belgrade invoked
memories of banning the Slovenian and Croatian magazines in Belgrade
which eventually led to the split between those countries. However,
banning magazines is just one little issue. The recent purge of
Milosevic's topmost henchmen is far more serious. Momcilo Perisic was
the commander of Milosevic's armies. Jovica Stanisic was the head of
Milosevic's intelligence and police forces. The only reason that
Milosevic would replace them both at the same time may be that he got
real scared from something... Coup de etat in the making, maybe?
Perisic, also was the man who signed the agreement with NATO over
Kosovo. He opposed use of Yugoslav Army in Kosovo from the beginning.
Is this peace agreement now in jeopardy, once he is gone? Is this yet
another way Milosevic wants to buy time to finish the ethnic
cleansing in Kosovo? Perisic, also, is a native Montenegrin and
enjoys support of Montenegrin government and its president Milo
Djukanovic. Banning Monitor may be a light insult to Montenegrins,
firing Perisic may be a little too much of an insult both to
Montenegrins and to the Army itself. It smells like last gasps of
tragically mistaken politics to remain in power. In fact, as I am
writing this, Milosevic may be arrested or even executed - I don't
know if he can survive this purge. Stanisic, on the other hand, is
the only high official that stayed with Milosevic since his ascent to
power. Milosevic purged everyone else earlier. Or got them killed.
If anybody knows a lot about Milosevic and the ways he manipulated
power in Serbia and Yugoslavia, Stanisic is the man. What is
Milosevic going to do without Stanisic and what is Stanisic going to
do now when he is not any more a part of Milosevic's apparatus? This
latest purge looks like a very risky, desperate move by a dictator
who is rapidly loosing control over his domain.

ivo

---