nettime's_digestive_system on Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:52:01 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Re: on moderation and spams (several messages)

From: Josephine Berry <josie@metamute.com>
Subject: On Lurking

Since we're currently engaged in list metaphysics....

I should start by declaring myself to be a virtually full-time,
unrepentant and chronic LURKER.

And let's face it, where would you all be without us? This legion of
quivering intellectual rabbits whose awe of the post-it intelligentsia is
so great that we'd almost rather cut off our right hands than hit that
send button.

Nettime without LURKERS would be like Hollywood without the opiated masses
or football without larger louts - no fun and bad business.

What is wrong with bystanders? Why the shamefull denigration of the word
LURKER? Is it supposed to make us feel like naughty school chilren or
criminals:"Stop lurking around out there, and put your hands where we can
see them!".

Where would all you performers be without your audience anyway? Who would
bother to pay you those royalties if us drones didn't queue up dutifully
to consume your wares?

No, but SERIOUSLY: most of us know how great the fear threshold is to
posting, but that doesn't mean that LURKERS are a bunch of labotomised
victims sucking pre-chewed life through a straw. And - whilst I'm up here
suffering on this soap-box - I'd say that LURKERS shouldn't be admonished
but encouraged. Why? Because they help form the community within which
this all happens and because they give an n-dimensionality to events which
means that posteurs can't be sure of their audience and what they're
thinking. Uncertainty is useful, it makes us sharpen our wits and back-up
our arguments. It means we never know which conversations are being had
where beyond all of Nettime's eight circles. It means that what can't be
measured can't be instrumentalised.

[Gospel chorus reaches its stirring climax and then dies away]

Yours without shame,

Lurkers Anonymous

       \- - - 1- - - /
     /  \     1     /  \
 1     ///\\\ 1 ///\\\ u t e : 2nd floor, 135-139 Curtain Rd, London EC2A 3BX.
 - - -* - -\\\1///- - * -  - - - - - T: +44 171 613 4743/ F: +44 171 613 4052
 1     \    / 1 \    /    - - - - E: josie@metamute.com/ W: www.metamute.com

------