rdom on Wed, 30 Sep 1998 06:53:16 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> CAE and me reply

Steven Kurtz wrote:

> Hello Ricardo,
>
> >thanks for setting all memories beyond frabrication and that no
> >distortions now live in the archive
>
> CAE only gave a ~memory~, we never claimed to offer truth nor claimed
> that CAE~s archive is without factual blemish. We simply offered a
> version of micro-history which from our perspective seems to blend more
> accurately with the documented levels activity.

Dear Steven/CAE,

sometimes the micro-history of *documented levels* of activities
does not fit the lived history of memory or one's sense of
the everyday participation in any group. my sense of participation
in the first book was not only of writing scripts, and the recontextualized
virtual history quotes, but of developing the foundational ideas
of what was being traced out as the electronic disturbance etc.,
as well as the work with ACT UP/Tallahassee and the
performative gestures that gave focus to the growing
ideas about blockage, public spaces, and the Therapeutic State
in both the electronic space and real street actions, that were
to become part of the 2nd work.

>We certainly would not and do not deny that. CAE is incredibly thankful
>for the years of dedicated labor, inspiration, and contributions that
>you gave to CAE~s process from 1988-spring 93.

thanks
(actually i would say spring 94)

>In the letter, we were
>quite explicit that we were only speaking about the planning and
>production of the books.

>all we are asking is that you respect the
>collective process by not claiming production status in collective
>processes that you were not a part of.

that i did not participate in the day to day production and
management of the book objects themselves after i left Tallahassee
is true, but that i cannot claim that those objects carry a part of my
input and research as a member of  *CAE~s process from 1988-spring 93*
...which for me is as important in the production of the objects themselves
...is rather strange...do we really need to sit around and point to each
line
and say...i was part of that line...i was not part of that line...but that
dash
is all mine...but i was not at the meeting for this dash...anyway don't
we have better things to do than spend our time on the micro-bureaucracy of
CAE and me...besides nettime is banging on the door...
...they want that essay about you know what NOW!

anyway it is good to hear from all of you after all this
time...as CAE would say...*you are so beautiful* with
a finger at mid forehead...heehee...*humans are such
easy prey*

cya,
ricardo
---