WONG, Hoy Cheong on Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:18:46 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> EXTREMELY DISTURBING! (Reports from Malaysia)

<via Hou Hanru/Paris: Houhrparis@aol.com>

Dear friends:

This bit of news I just downloaded from AFP is EXTREMELY DISTURBING AND
FRIGHTENING! BUT  I am sure Mahathir is capable of such a thing - that
man is evil. And under ISA, they can do anything!

Anwar to get HIV injection claim dismissed as "crazy"

       Mon 21 Sep 98 - 13:05 GMT

       KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 21 (AFP) - The wife of Anwar Ibrahim on Monday
raised fears for the safety of the imprisoned former deputy premier,
saying she had even heard he might be injected with the HIV virus.

       Rumours that Anwar might be deliberately infected spread like
wildfire across the capital after notices were posted on the gate of
Anwar's house and an internet site made the same claim. But the Malaysian
authorities totally dismissed the allegation.

       "Do you think Malaysians are so crazy and cruel to do this," said
an official police spokesman.

       "What is there to investigate when it is not true and all
rumours? It is all rumours," the spokesman added.

       But Anwar's wife Wan Azizah Wan Ismail said in an interview with
BBC television she was very worried about her husband who was detained
Sunday night after police stormed his home.

       "I am really very, very deeply concerned for his well being and
his safety," she said.

       "There are reliable sources that I have heard to say that he may
even be injected with HIV virus to prove the allegation of his sodomy
charges and also to plainly kill him."

       An adopted brother of Anwar and a former speechwriter were jailed
for six months on Saturday after being found guilty of letting Anwar
sodomise them. Anwar has denied the allegations.

       He also faces accusations including treason and has been held
under the Internal Security Act under which he could be detained
indefinitely without trial.

       The poster outside Anwar's home and one internet site devoted to
the politician said: "Anwar will be injected with four doses of the HIV
virus tonight.

       "We are urged to gather at Bukit Jalil after evening prayers ...
please convey this message to all." Bukit Jalil was where the closing
ceremony for the Commonwealth Games was held on  Monday night.

       The police spokesman said the authorities were "monitoring" all
reports and internet claims.