nettime's_digestive_system on Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:05:48 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Monsanto PR [Holroyd, Byfield]

Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:27:23 +0900 (JST)
From: Tom Holroyd <tomh@taz.ccs.fau.edu>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Monsanto PR front in Europe

I don't know how that relates to net culture, but if it weren't for
thousands of years of selective breeding and manipulation by humans of the
crop plants and animals we consume, we'd all be dead from starvation.
Yields per hectare of virtually all crops have been artificially
increased, in some cases ten-fold.

In the last 100 years alone, average U.S. farm output has increased more
than eight-fold.  This growth occurred despite a drastic decline in farm
population (from 90% of the total population to 3%).
[http://csab.wustl.edu/papers/environment/ps129.htm]

The only complaints I've heard are against the companies that want to
patent the technology -- obviously nobody is complaining that the yields
have increased, only that farmers will have to pay more for the seeds.

With the population growing and people around the world already starving
while you eat more than you need, I'd say this is the wrong drum to be
banging on.

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, t byfield wrote:

><http://reports.guardian.co.uk/articles/1998/8/23/17759.html>
>
>The high profile campaign to persuade people that
>genetically-modified food is safe suffered a fresh
>setback last week with a decision by the
>Vegetarian Society not to endorse products
>containing such ingredients.

Dr. Tom Holroyd
Behavior Control Lab, Human Informatics Dept.            The basis of
National Institute of Bioscience and Human-Technology    stability is
1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305, Japan             instability.
The 9th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be
construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."