Bruce Sterling on Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:10:12 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Autonomous Web Collectives Versus the 20th Century

On October 15 in San Francisco, I am going to deliver a speech to several
hundred Apache open-source software developers.  My chosen topic is:
"Unconventional Projects for Distributed Collaborative Work."

   I have most any number of unconventional ideas about the possibilities of
autonomous webbed collectives.  I will probably post the speech to the list
after delivering it.   Before composing this visionary rant of mine,
however, I would like to hear some cogent suggestions from nettimers.   I'm
looking for noncommercial, autonomous research and design projects, that
might be carried out, in the future, by large numbers of physically
distributed people, using the net to leverage many small efforts to
accomplish large ends.

   Please note the Apache people have a conspicuous record for actually
doing this.

Bruce Sterling (bruces@well.com)
---