MediaFilter on Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:58:08 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Kingston Direct Action Working Group under attack: local labour

bosses denounce us and web page is taken down
Sender: owner-nettime-l@basis.desk.nl

Attached is a report from Harry Pilfold (3hp9@qlink.queensu.ca) about
the recent attacks on K-DAWG.
****************************

To all who care about censorship of the left,

Today the Kingston Direct Action Working Group (K-DAWG) web site was
shut down by the providers (www.angelfire.com). Although the web
master, Don Laroo, was not informed of the reason for this shut
down, it is suspected that someone who wanted to silence the
group complained to the company about articles encouraging "illegal"
activity. ie reports on civil disobediance.

K-DAWG is a group that includes a broad range of Kingston leftists and
social activists. It was formed after the Kingston Day of Action of June
8th, as a way to keep the momentum of Day -- including the now infamous
community initiative to "cross-picket" local banks -- going.

Only three days before the site was shut down, K-DAWG had printed a
response to attacks by the Kingston and District Labour Council, which
had
written a public letter criticizing K-DAWG. (See copy appended to this
e-mail.)

The K-DAWG web site included radical links, a local activist event
calendar, news, articles, a history of direct action in Kingston, and
reports on numerous items of interest to activists.

We are encouraging people to complain about this harassment and
censorship directly to Angelfire. We demand to know why our site was
cancelled, and who it was who complained about its contents.

In the mean time we have set up a replica site (only slightly dated).
It is still under construction, but can be viewed at:

www.angelfire.com/on/themove

Show us you care -- click on our site and we'll let the visitor counter
be an indication of our support.

In the vein of civil disobedience and direct action, we are also
considering making censorship unworkable at Angelfire by issuing bogus
complaints about every angelfire site. This will overload their censorship
procedure by forcing them to check on the validity of complaints BEFORE
just shutting down the sites. A huge amount of labour which they probably
won't be up for.

Please FORWARD this letter widely. STOP CENSORSHIP of left sites!!

Response to KDLC attacks.... mysteriously it was on the web only three
days before our site was shut down.