ricardo dominguez on Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:44:31 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Mexican Goverment Web Site Counter-Attacks Zapatista FloodNet + UP=

DATE
Sender: owner-nettime-l@basis.desk.nl

WE have verified the technical foundations of the Mexican
Government's retaliatory countermeasures against the Zaps Floodnet.
The site employed ajavascript which causes a small window
(containing their Banner applet) to open outside of the frame in
which we are loading their site.

The test to verify this is simple:
1) turn javascript "on" in your browser and visit
http://www.gobernacion.gob.mx/
It will pop open the little window.

2) turn javascript "off", and no more pop up windows!

The solution is to re-do our site a little bit. In the floodnet
instructions we will need to add browser specific instructions
on how to turn off javascript.  Additonally, we will have to
add these instructions to an intro page of somesort, so that
the user gets the chance to make browser changes
before they load the tactical floodnet!

What is important  is that this is the second in kind
acknowledgement on the part of the Mexican Government
of our tactics; responding (as they did) on the same "inforwar
as browser combat" plane as we have addressed them!
(the first one was the attempted hack into The Thing during
the our first action in April)
http://www.thing.net

One additonal point, according to our calculations,
Floodnet action is responsible for 9% of all of the hits to
the gobernacion site in it's entire history, (according to their
own web counter.)

The ECD group
    http://www.nyu.edu/projects/wray/ecd.html

__________

UPDATE: On Current Attacks on Zapatista Communities.

SAN JUAN DE LA LIBERTAD (previously, EL BOSQUE)
CHIAPAS, June 10, 1998

TO PUBLIC OPINION
TO THE NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PRESS
TO THE PEOPLE OF MEXICO
TO ALL HUMAN RIGHTS=B4 ORGANIZATIONS
TO NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CIVIL SOCIETY

We, the representatives of the communities of the Municipality of San Juan
de Libertad, denounce in front of public opinion, in front of the Nation
and in front of the world, the wave of violence and oppression in which we
are living in our municipality at this moment, ordered by the Government
of Roberto Albores Guillen and Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon; since
yesterday and last night, hundreds of public security forces, federal and
judicial soldiers, and even paramilitary groups, have entered into the
municipal seat, and into several communities, to attack the support bases
of the EZLN and the Autonomous Municipal Council.=20

Since last night many public security forces and federal and judicial
soldiers have entered the community of Union Progreso, at this moment they
have occupied the town and are destroying houses, all belongings and are
persecuting the residents . . .

In the community of Chabajebal, many public security forces and federal
soldiers entered, firing weapons, and now there are several dead and
wounded zapatista bases of support.=20

At this moment , many soldiers and public security forces are mobilizing
by land and air, to continue entering the communities and capture the
EZLN bases of support.

We are living at this moment in a situation of terror and persecution in
our municipality, but there is much military threat to other municipalities
in Los Altos of Chiapas; what we are seeing here at this moment is going
to make it difficult to avoid a clash or some confrontation with the
zapatistas.

Because of all of this, we urgently request the intervention of human
rights=B4 organizations, national and international, and the presence of th=
International Red Cross, the Center for Human Rights Fray Bartolome de Las
Casas and national and international civil society, to intervene in order
to stop this war and persecution, unleashed and provoked by the

Government of Chiapas, by Roberto Albores Guillen, and by the federal
government of Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon against the indigenous peoples
of Chiapas, who are fighting for their rights and to defend their dignity
as a people.=20

We ask the media to come to these places we mentioned in order to bear
witness and to speak the truth of these events.

SINCERELY

REPRESENTATIVES OF THE COMMUNITIES AND AUTONOMOUS MUNICIPAL COUNCIL
OF SAN JUAN DE LA LIBERTAD
(previously, EL BOSQUE), CHIAPAS, MEXICO

---