ted byfield on Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:22:06 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Nettime TLD compilation [1/2]

[*Here it is*: The Official Nettime Top-Level Domain Debate Greatest Hits
 Compendium, Volume 1. And--sacre bleu!!--it's *not* 100% made in the USA.
 Just 98% Amerikkkan, but c'mon, cut us some slack (we're trying...). -TB]

[1]  TBTF (30/3/98) excerpt...[30 lines]
[2]  NTKnow (27/3/98) excerpt...[41 lines]
[3]  Gordon Cook answers EFF's Stanton McCandlish...[130 lines]
[4]  TELECOM Digest (23/3/98) excerpt (R. Hauben's remarks)...[233 lines]
[5]  Phil Agre's "Red Rock Eater" compilation re the debate...[787 lines]

[1]  TBTF (30/3/98) excerpt
<...>
TBTF for 3/30/98: Elementary

    T a s t y   B i t s   f r o m   t h e   T e c h n o l o g y   F r o n t
<...>
..Poles of the domain-name debate

  The Green Paper fragmented and sharpened opinions

    The Electronic Freedom Foundation has registered its comments [7] on
    the Commerce Department's domain naming Green Paper. EFF weighs in
    from the side of radical Internet self governance. It wants the evo-
    lution of the domain naming system left completely in the hands of
    the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, and it wants NSI cut off
    completely from any ownership in the common property of domain
    namespace. The EFF urges balance for the rights of small companies
    and individuals against those of trademark holders.

    Gordon Cook replied [8] to the EFF comments; suffice it to say he is
    not sanguine. As Phil Agre notes in introducing Cook's comments, this
    debate has polarized almost beyond reason.

    [7]  http://www.findmail.com/listsaver/noframes/rre/764.html
    [8]  http://www.findmail.com/listsaver/noframes/rre/765.html
<...>
    TBTF home and archive at http://www.tbtf.com/ . <...>

[2]  NTKnow (27/3/98) excerpt
 _   _ _____ _  __ <*the* weekly high-tech sarcastic update for the UK>
| \ | |_   _| |/ / _ __   ____27/03/98_ o Join! Mail 'subscribe ntknow'
|  \| | | | | ' / | '_ \ / _ \ \ /\ / / o  to majordomo@unfortu.net
| |\  | | | | . \ | | | | (_) \ V  V /  o Website (+ archive) lives at:
|_| \_| |_| |_|\_\|_| |_|\___/ \_/\_/   o     http://www.ntk.net/

<...>
         So, whose side were you on in the Domain Name Wars? The
         time for comments on the US Government proposals, which
         attempt to foster a compromise between those battling for
         control of the top level domains, ended Tuesday. Time for
         the real punch-ups to begin. Latest casualties: the
         ELECTRONIC FREEDOM FRONTIER, who this week came down firmly
         on the side of CORE (that's the Old Guys Who Created The
         Net, Who Plan To Hand All That .Net .Com Nonsense To The A
         Neutral Swiss Body). Unremarkable, since EFF co-founder
         John Gilmore is an Honorary Old Guy and CORE buddy - but
         still an excuse for outrage from Gordon Cook, author of the
         Cook Report (not *that* Cook Report), and champion of the
         "Senile Old Men Who've Lost Touch With Reality, Who Plot to
         Give Away America's Internet To Foreign Powers" hypothesis
         [see NTK 10/10/97]. Cook described the EFF position as
         "outrageous puerile RANT", which, judging by the level of
         debate so far, should be seen as a compliment. Our
         position? If these guys want Net names to stay American,
         why don't they all push off back to the .us domain where
         they belong, and leave .com to us "international" folk?
         Kidding!
         http://www.findmail.com/listsaver/noframes/rre/764.html
         - "For the ... benefit of the public, the Internet users, and
                  the entire human race" (delete where not applicable)
         http://www.findmail.com/listsaver/noframes/rre/765.html
          - "a single fallable individual" Sounds like a threat, Jon
         http://www.worldnic.com/
                                 - NSI presents *World*nic? uh-oh...
 <...>

[3]  Gordon Cook answers EFF's Stanton McCandlish