David S. Bennahum on Thu, 12 Mar 1998 07:27:13 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> Technorealism

see also: http://www.technorealism.org/

WHY TECHNOREALISM?

In this heady age of rapid technological change, we all struggle to
maintain our bearings. The developments that unfold each day in
communications and computing can be thrilling and disorienting. One
understandable reaction is to wonder: Are these changes good or bad?
Should we welcome or fear them?

The answer is both. Technology is making life more convenient and
enjoyable, and many of us healthier, wealthier, and wiser. But it is
also affecting work, family, and the economy in unpredictable ways,
introducing new forms of tension and distraction, and posing new threats
to the cohesion of our physical communities.

Despite the complicated and often contradictory implications of
technology, the conventional wisdom is woefully simplistic. Pundits,
politicians, and self-appointed visionaries do us a disservice when they
try to reduce these complexities to breathless tales of either high-tech
doom or cyber-elation. Such polarized thinking leads to dashed hopes and
unnecessary anxiety, and prevents us from understanding our own culture.

Over the past few years, even as the debate over technology has been
dominated by the louder voices at the extremes, a new, more balanced
consensus has quietly taken shape. This document seeks to articulate
some of the shared beliefs behind that consensus, which we have come to
call technorealism.

Technorealism demands that we think critically about the role that tools
and interfaces play in human evolution and everyday life. Integral to
this perspective is our understanding that the current tide of
technological transformation, while important and powerful, is actually
a continuation of waves of change that have taken place throughout
history. Looking, for example, at the history of the automobile,
television, or the telephone -- not just the devices but the
institutions they became -- we see profound benefits as well as
substantial costs. Similarly, we anticipate mixed blessings from today's
emerging technologies, and expect to forever be on guard for unexpected
consequences -- which must be addressed by thoughtful design and
appropriate use.

As technorealists, we seek to expand the fertile middle ground between
techno-utopianism and neo-Luddism. We are technology "critics" in the
same way, and for the same reasons, that others are food critics, art
critics, or literary critics. We can be passionately optimistic about
some technologies, skeptical and disdainful of others. Still, our goal
is neither to champion nor dismiss technology, but rather to understand
it and apply it in a manner more consistent with basic human values.

PRINCIPLES OF TECHNOREALISM

1.     TECHNOLOGIES ARE NOT NEUTRAL

A great misconception of our time is the idea that technologies are
completely free of bias -- that because they are inanimate artifacts,
they don't promote certain kinds of behaviors over others. In truth,
technologies come loaded with both intended and unintended social,
political, and economic leanings. Every tool provides its users with a
particular manner of seeing the world and specific ways of interacting
with others. It is important for each of us to consider the biases of
various technologies and to seek out those that reflect our values and
aspirations.

2.     THE INTERNET IS REVOLUTIONARY, BUT NOT UTOPIAN

The Net is an extraordinary communications tool that provides a range of
new opportunities for people, communities, businesses, and government.
Yet as cyberspace becomes more populated, it increasingly resembles
society at large, in all its complexity. For every empowering or
enlightening aspect of the wired life, there will also be dimensions
that are malicious, perverse, or rather ordinary.

3.     GOVERNMENT HAS AN IMPORTANT ROLE
       TO PLAY ON THE ELECTRONIC FRONTIER

Contrary to some claims, cyberspace is not formally a place or
jurisdiction separate from Earth. While governments should respect the
rules and customs that have arisen in cyberspace, and should not stifle
this new world with inefficient regulation or censorship, it is foolish
to say that the public has no sovereignty over what an errant citizen or
fraudulent corporation does online. As the representative of the people
and the guardian of democratic values, the state has the right and
responsibility to help integrate cyberspace and conventional society.
Technology standards and privacy issues, for example, are too important
to be entrusted to the marketplace alone. Competing software firms have
little interest in preserving the open standards that are essential to a
fully functioning interactive network. Markets encourage innovation, but
they do not necessarily insure the public interest.

4.     INFORMATION IS NOT KNOWLEDGE

All around us, information is moving faster and becoming cheaper to
acquire, and the benefits are manifest. That said, the proliferation of
data is also a serious challenge, requiring new measures of human
discipline and skepticism. We must not confuse the thrill of acquiring
or distributing information quickly with the more daunting task of
converting it into knowledge and wisdom. Regardless of how advanced our
computers become, we should never use them as a substitute for our own
basic cognitive skills of awareness, perception, reasoning, and
judgment.

5.      WIRING THE SCHOOLS WILL NOT SAVE THEM

The problems with America's public schools -- disparate funding, social
promotion, bloated class size, crumbling infrastructure, lack of
standards -- have almost nothing to do with technology. Consequently, no
amount of technology will lead to the educational revolution prophesied
by President Clinton and others. The art of teaching cannot be
replicated by computers, the Net, or by "distance learning." These tools
can, of course, augment an already high-quality educational experience.
But to rely on them as any sort of panacea would be a costly mistake.

6.      INFORMATION WANTS TO BE PROTECTED

It's true that cyberspace and other recent developments are challenging
our copyright laws and frameworks for protecting intellectual property.
The answer, though, is not to scrap existing statutes and principles.
Instead, we must update old laws and interpretations so that information
receives roughly the same protection it did in the context of old media.
The goal is the same: to give authors sufficient control over their work
so that they have an incentive to create, while maintaining the right of
the public to make fair use of that information. In neither context does
information want "to be free." Rather, it needs to be protected.

7.      THE PUBLIC OWNS THE AIRWAVES;
        THE PUBLIC SHOULD BENEFIT FROM THEIR USE

The recent digital spectrum giveaway to broadcasters underscores the
corrupt and inefficient misuse of public resources in the arena of
technology. The citizenry should benefit and profit from the use of
public frequencies, and should retain a portion of the spectrum for
educational, cultural, and public access uses. We should demand more for
private use of public property.

8.      UNDERSTANDING TECHNOLOGY SHOULD BE
        AN ESSENTIAL COMPONENT OF GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP

In a world driven by the flow of information, the interfaces -- and the
underlying code -- that make information visible are becoming enormously
powerful social forces. Understanding their strengths and limitations,
and even participating in the creation of better tools, should be an
important part of being an involved citizen. These tools affect our
lives as much as laws do, and we should subject them to a similar
democratic scrutiny.

Signed in alphabetical order:

DAVID S. BENNAHUM, New York, New York
Editor, MEME
Contributing Editor, Wired, Spin, Lingua Franca, and I.D. magazines

BROOKE SHELBY BIGGS, San Francisco, California
Columnist, San Francisco Bay Guardian online
Columnist, CMP's NetInsider

PAULINA BORSOOK, San Francisco, California
Author, "Cyberselfish: Technolibertarianism and the True Revenge of the
Nerds" (forthcoming from Broadway books)

MARISA BOWE, New York, New York
Editor-in-Chief, Word
Former Conference Manager, ECHO

SIMSON GARFINKEL, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
Contributing Writer, Wired
Columnist, The Boston Globe

STEVEN JOHNSON, New York, New York
Author, "Interface Culture: How New Technology Transforms the Way
We Create and Communicate"
Editor-In-Chief, FEED

DOUGLAS RUSHKOFF, New York, New York
Author, "Cyberia," "Media Virus," "Playing the Future," "Ecstasy Club."
Columnist, New York Times Syndicate, Time Digital

ANDREW L. SHAPIRO, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Fellow, Harvard Law School's Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Contributing Editor, The Nation

DAVID SHENK, Brooklyn, New York
Author, "Data Smog: Surviving the Information Glut"
Commentator, National Public Radio

STEVE SILBERMAN, San Francisco, California
Senior Culture Writer, Wired News

MARK STAHLMAN, New York, New York
Author, "The Battle for Cyberspace" (forthcoming)
Co-founder, New York New Media Association

STEFANIE SYMAN, New York, New York
Executive editor and co-founder, FEED

You can add your name to the list of signers by visiting the
Technorealism site, at http://www.technorealism.org/form.html  The
editors at Feed have also created a "Feed Dialog" where we can participate
in a discussion on Technorealism, at
http://www.feedmag.com/html/dialog/98.03dialog/98.03dialog_master.html

If you are near Boston on March 19th, 1998, we will be presenting
Technorealsim at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard
University, from 3-6 pm, in Austin Hall North on the Harvard Law School
campus. Details are at http://cyber.harvard.edu/technorealism.html.

---