announcer on Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:01:00 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> announcer 011a

1. Ontological Museum        Announcement & call for participation: The
                             Ontological Museum goes online

2.                           10 years of orfkunstradio

3. MediaFilter               cbc tv

4. Mute/Telepolis/HRC        Cyber-Salon: Digital Art As Business

5. Phil Agre                 conference on information systems

1.

From: ONTOLOGICAL MUSEUM <touchon@sprynet.com>
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT and Call for Participation

ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PARTICIPATION.
THE ONTOLOGICAL MUSEUM GOES ON-LINE
CONTACT INFO: ontomuse@post-dogmatist-arts.net
The International Royal Academy of Post-Dogmatist Arts
and Letters in conjunction with The International Post-Dogmatist
Group and its member institutions and affiliates are pleased to announce

the opening of the ONTOLOGICAL MUSEUM WEB SITE.
The Ontological Museum at http://post-dogmatist-arts.net/museum/
is the repository of documents and  artifacts of members of the
IPDG including writings, photographic records, web projects,
theoretical experiments, etc.

The Ontological Museum is the first completely volunteer, artist run
museum in the world dedicated to providing a platform for communication
among members  and a resource for artistic research.

While still in a formative state, several departments have opened their
doors for perusal including The Department of Photographic Records at:
http://post-dogmatist-arts.net/museum/depart02/   and
The Department of Linguistic Records at:
http://post-dogmatist-arts.net/museum/lingo/ .
These departments are still being constructed but visitors are welcome
to stop by.

Soon to be open are the Collage Museum  at:
http://post-dogmatist-arts.net/museum/collage/ and the Department
of Indigenous Systems headed by master Chilkat weaver Seya Lampe,
at: http://post-dogmatist-arts.net/hudson/weavers1.htm
More departments are in the planning stages and proposals for
new departments are welcome and curatorial positions open. Also
invited are proposals for exhibitions related to the focus of the museum
by members. Membership is currently free and open to all. For more
information regarding the IPDG and membership:
http://post-dogmatist-arts.net/quarterly/membinfo.htm.

2.

>From: Elisabeth <werks@thing.at>
>Subject: 10 years of kunstradio

>RECYCLING THE FUTURE
>
>ON LINE ON AIR ON SITE
>
>4th - 7th of december
>
>10 years of orfkunstradio
>
>check out: http://thing.at/orfkunstradio/FUTURE/
>
>ORF KUNSTRADIO is 10 years old ... the first broadcast
>     took place on the 3rd of December 1987 ... and in those
>     10 years both art and radio have changed almost beyond
>     recognition. Not only have the Broadcasting monopolies
>     (commercial and public) begun to crumble under the
>     pressure of market ideology but the traditional notion
>     of "broadcasting" itself is being challenged by the
>     digital network technologies - just as art and music and
>     literature are finding that their conventions and
>     traditions are being undermined by the digital
>     technologies: sampling, scanning, simulations, etc.
>
>     "Recycling the Future" is a kind of birthday celebration
>     and a "looking back" at all the futures that Kunstradio
>     inherited and created and shared through the 10 years of
>     chaos, confusion and challenge called (by some) "the
>     electronic revolution".
>
>     Nowadays even the future isn't what it used to be ...

3.

From: mf@mediafilter.org (MediaFilter) (by way of Pit Schultz)
Subject: cbc tv

http://www.tv.cbc.ca/undercurrents/stories/internic/
http://www.tv.cbc.ca/undercurrents/stories/internic/garrin.html

4.

Mute
Telepolis &
Hypermedia Research Centre

CYBER-SALON

'Digital Art as Business'

Deborah Curtis (Joshua Compston/Factual Nonsense)
Armin Medosch (Telepolis)

7pm to 11pm
Wednesday 26th November

Upper Bar
CROSS KEYS
31 Endell Street
Covent Garden
LONDON WC2

=A31 donation

be there!

5.

        IFIP Working groups 8.2 and 8.6 joint Working Conference on
                      Information Systems:
                Current Issues and Future Changes

              Helsinki, Finland, December 10-13, 1998
                      (Prior to ICIS 1998)

                   Call for papers and panels
                   Due date: February 28, 1998

As we approach the 21st century, the members of IFIP Working groups 8.2
and 8.6 saw the need to develop holistic views on where information
systems and technology are taking private and public organizations. In
particular, can practical and theoretical frameworks that may explore the
many-faceted nature of IS/IT-related change be developed?  Of special
value is the coupling among theoretical thinking, effects exploration, and
practical managerial guidelines (see the detailed conference background
and objective description below.)

Because of the WG8.2 focus organizational and human issues and the WG8.6
objective to study diffusion and innovation processes, we thought that a
joint working conference would create the very best opportunity to bring
forth new insights and knowledge within the suggested main themes. Our aim
is to create a meeting place for the best practitioners and accademicians.
We will invite keynote speakers who are at the forefront in understanding
IS/IT development trends and impacts. The combination of this conference
with ICIS 1998, and its focus on Managing Virtual Enterprises, should make
Helsinki the place to be in December of 1998.

We invite you to submit a paper or propose a panel for this conference. If
you have questions about whether your idea for a contribution fits the
conference theme, please do not hesitate to contact the co-program chairs,
Tor J. Larsen or Linda Levine (see below), or any of the conference
chairs. The conference home page is http://www.bi.no/dep2/infomgt/wg82-86/
Please visit us to get up-to-date information!

PAPERS
Your paper can be up to 20 pages long, double spaced. Please send 5 paper
copies by February, 28, 1998 to either Tor J. Larsen or Linda Levine. Your
final version must be submitted in electronic format to Tor or Linda. The
due date here is August 1998. The accepted papers will be printed in the
proceedings, published by Chapman & Hall. The author listed first on your
paper will get a free copy of the proceedings. The proceedings will be
available at the opening of the conference.

PANELS
We believe panels are essential to ensure focus on and discussion of key
practical and research issues in development. A panel may also present
practical solutions or research projects that are "under way" and, hence,
not completed. A typical panel may consist of three persons. We encourage
you to develop a panel description of at least 2-5 pages, double spaced.
The value of a panel would be increased if each panel member develops
a position statement or description of at least 2-5 pages, double spaced.
You should indicate the time requirement for your panel. Please send 5
paper copies by February, 28, 1998 to either Tor J. Larsen or Linda
Levine. Accepted panel descriptions will be included in the proceedings,
published by Chapman & Hall.

Cordially,
Tor J. Larsen and Linda Levine

CO-PROGRAM CHAIRS
Associate Professor Tor J. Larsen
Department of Organization and Management
The Norwegian School of Management
P.O. Box 580
1301 Sandvika
NORWAY
Telephone: (+47) 67 57 08 46
Telefax: (+47) 67 57 08 54
Electronic mail: TOR.J.LARSEN@BI.NO

Dr. Linda Levine
Software Engineering Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
USA
Telephone: (+1) 412-268-3893
Telefax: (+1) 412-268-5758
Electronic mail: LL@SEI.CMU.EDU

CONFERENCE BACKGROUND
Many books and articles have been published about positive and negative
effects (or impacts) from IS/IT development and use. Examples of effect
areas addressed are business value, organizational effects, (work) group
effects, deskilling, and effects on the individual level. Within each of
these broader areas, economical benefit or loss, magnitude of change,
impacts on the formal and informal social structure, changes in job
content, and information satisfaction have been explored. Publications, in
business and public administration, are positioned on all managerial
levels; strategic, tactical, and operational. Practical as well as
theoretical conceptual frameworks aimed at integrating these diverse
aspects of IS/IT change effects are rare. The field is very fragmented.
Therefore, the advancement of integrated practical views and theories of a
holistic nature are needed.
As we approach the 21st century, we must also ask: what do we envision in
IS/IT development and use? How might we integrate our understanding of
knowledges, processes, and technologies, in the organizations of the
future, to better serve learning and work?

WORKING CONFERENCE OBJECTIVE
As a two-step effort in developing an integrated understanding of this
field, and envisoning the challenges and opportunities ahead, the working
conference objective is to present practical and theoretical frameworks
that may explore the many-faceted nature of IS/IT-related change. Of
special value is the coupling among theoretical thinking, effects
exploration, and practical managerial guidelines.

---