Joseph S Zitt on Wed, 1 Oct 1997 22:18:05 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Re: the User is the Content - Reality and Utopia

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Mark Stahlman wrote:

> The Utopians wish to replace humanity with a better engineered "product."
> They will sell their efforts to "improve" humanity by talking about longer
> life, less disease, less violence and better behavior.  The Realists know
> that this is lie.  That's why they oppose each other.

Of course, the group that you call "Utopians" would probably consider
themselves "Realists", and consider those that you call "Realists" to be
"Distopians".

And I'm sufficiently optimistic to believe that these two views are in no
way diametrically opposed and irreconcilable (sp?). The best future will
come from a moral application of all available technologies.

----- End of forwarded message from owner-nettime-l@Desk.nl -----
---