Gordon Cook on Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:33:00 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> PGMedia becomes Tiresome

In a message that I find insulting to my intelligence Paul Garrin
complains and urges his followers to rise to his defense and trash the
mighty new york times. I am not a follower so I am not sure why I received
the latest invitation to spam the Cybertimes.

Garrin: First, the petition being widely endorsed in
support of pgMedia, Inc.'s NAME.SPACE service,
was not mentioned in your article, although it
represents a significant percentage of the number
of total replies received to date by the
US Department of Commerce.

Cook: uummm sorry to rain on your parade paul, but please define
widely.....1000 responses? 10,000?  1,000,000?  Attested to by what
auditor????

Represents a significant proportion of the replies received by the
department of commerce, eh?   define significant. 5% or 50%?  And what
makes you think such a figure could be ascertained?  If commerce is giving
out stats on who has replied, i'd like to see the evidence.

You are a promoter, a spreader of hype...not a major player.

The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://cookreport.com/
Internet: cook@cookreport.com             New Special Report: Internet
Governance at the Crossroads ($175)  http://cookreport.com/inetgov.shtml