Erich Moechel on Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:49:56 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> [Fwd: slashes]

Dear net/timers,
I did not know that anything would come out of my short comment on dots
& slashes.Seeing the reactions of others I forward my answer to
Josephine now 4 all.
cheers
Erich

hi Josephine

> >Post/scrypt: dots are elitist (top level domain). The age of slashes is
> >dawning.
> haha
> to be serious:
I was rather serious about this slash issue. Especially in German, a
language that tends to constructing long composite nouns, slashes
inbetween help if you want to stress certain parts of it.Moreover
addressing:
"dear readers" in English is neutral.
"Liebe Leser" in German is not neutral but male. If I want to be polite
which is more to the point thant "correct" you should have to write
"Liebe Leserinnen und Leser". That is lengthy & tiring.
So: liebe Leser/innen does not exclude females, saves space & is more
convenient to my eyes than the current feminist inspired "LeserInnen".