Reclaim The Streets (by way of richard@hrc.wmin.ac.uk \(Richard Barbrook\)) on Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:47:38 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> McLibel article

>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 19:23:22 GMT
>From: Orbital@dial.pipex.com
>
>THIS ARTICLE APPEARED IN THE INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER ON 19/7/97
>
>BY DANNY PENMAN
>
>Ronald McDonald woke up this morning with a particularly fearsome grimace.
>It should have been a smile because a new McDonald's restaurant had just
>opened.
>
>Throughout today, like every other day, a new McDonald's restaurant will
>open every three hours somewhere on the planet. So massive is the burger
>chain that beef from almost one per cent of the world's cattle now pass
>through its doors between slices of bread.
>
>All this would make Ronald McDonald beam with pleasure were it not for one
>small thing - McLibel - the longest trial in history. McLibel, the
>judgement on which will be handed down today, started out as a seemingly
>pre-ordained contest between two unemployed environmentalists from North
>London and the world's most powerful burger chain.
>
>The bizarre trial focused on the contents of a factsheet produced by a
>group of green activists in the mid-1980s. The factsheet accuses McDonald's
>of producing food linked to heart disease, diabetes and cancer and of
>abusing animals, its workers and the environment.
>
>McDonald's claims it is libellous. The McLibel Two, Helen Steel and Dave
>Morris, say that it is true. The allegations and counter-claims have been
>aired in the High Court over thirty months and have been supported by
>nearly 40,000 pages of evidence.
>
>The seemingly endless trial has seen the inner workings of one of the
>world's most high profile multinationals paraded before the court. It has
>also seen an explosion in green activism across the country.
>
>When McDonald's issued the writs in 1990, Swampy was doing his GCSEs,
>Twyford Down was one of Southern England's most treasured beauty spots and
>few people had even heard of the veal trade.
>
>When McLibel reached the High Court in June 1994, construction companies
>were in the throws of "the biggest road building programme since the Romans
>left", a handful of campaigners were struggling to stop the veal calf trade
>and Shell was planning to dump the Brent Spar in the North Atlantic.
>
>When McDonald's finished it's summing-up last December, the company's sales
>per store were falling, the road-building programme was in tatters, the
>veal calf trade had been destroyed and Shell had been humbled by
>Greenpeace.
>
>As well as mirroring the growth in the green movement, McLibel has become
>one of its main rallying cries. It has become "environmental enemy number
>one", in the eyes of many, for the same reasons it has become such a
>commercial success.
>

>McDonald's is founded on four core values; efficiency, calculability,
>predictability and control.
>
>Everything the company does is designed to maximise profit. Every unit of
>input, whether its the number of steps a burger-flipper takes across the
> [...]
RTS now run a genetics information email list.
If you would like to be on it (and are not already) reply putting 'Subscribe
Genetics' in the subject box.
If you have anything to contribute to the list then send it in and it will
be forwarded - unedited wherever possible.
Please do not send attachments (so as to avoid virus), instead just add text
to emails main body.
For genetics info on the web check out:
http:///www.envirolink.org/orgs/shag/genetix.html
Reclaim the Streets
PO BOX 9656
London
N4 4JY
0171 281 4621( this tel number is not for Genetics info)
<rts@gn.apc.org>
http://www.hrc.wmin.ac.uk/campaigns/rts.html

---