Mark Stahlman (via RadioMail) on Tue, 11 Mar 97 20:10 MET

nettime: Re: The Great Brain Robbery (Update)

Folks:

I was incorrect in stating that eMinds has trashed YOYOW.  David Bennahum
(who works there, among other places) has gotten a message back from eMinds
staff that clearly states a YOYOW policy for eMinds.

After re-checking some of my sources, what I believe they intend to do is
to either ask permission or "fair-use" conversations in addition to using
other material which they have paid for in their spin-off products.  This
makes a lot more sense legally as well as with the "hot-tub" ethic than
what I had previously understood about their business model.  I apologize
for any mistaken information I may have conveyed.

None of this, however, alters the need to make sure that conversations in
key eMinds sections are under control and that those which prove to be
editorially useful are available for future purposes.  eMinds was sold to
investors based on the profits which would presumably come from these
spin-offs -- not simply on the banner advertising on their WEB pages.

Once again, I expressly request that no one x-post this message to the
WELL, eMinds or any other related system.  Thanks.

Mark Stahlman
New Media Associates
New York City
newmedia@mcimail.com