Jack Jansen on Tue, 21 Jan 97 14:00 MET

Re: nettime: Paul Garrin

> I try to keep an open mind/heart to Name.space
> I must say it gets harder
> I wouldn't mind some serious comments by others on this list

I more-or-less share Rop's views on the issue. I made similar points to Paul:
I like the political idea of Name.Space but I'm not happy from a technical
point of view. Paul basically replied that the technical side was a non-issue.
I think he's wrong here, but I may have too euro-centric a view (in Europe the
upper domains provide some locality of reference, since people in country A
are more likely to access addresses in country A, but in the US this advantage
disappears, since the edu/gov/com toplevel domains probably have much less
coherence).

The new developments (coordinating with AlterNIC) also take away the nice
anarchic feel the project had, since it appears to become quite a bit more
business-like and centralized: basically a commercial version of NIC.

Since a project like this is inherently disruptive, because it replaces a
single set of agreements on what a domainname means by multiple
interpretations, the return should be worthwhile. My feeling is that the
return is less and less worthwhile...
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm