Jesse Hirsh on Mon, 16 Dec 96 21:44 MET

nettime: Re: mcluhan

McLuhan does owe a lot to the work of Teilhard de Chardin, but due to the
Church's disapproval of Teilhard, Marshall did not offer public approval of
the man's work. One could argue that all of McLuhan's work deals with the
'apocalypse', or 'end of the world as we know it'. Communications is a study
of change, and McLuhan tried to describe the 'big one'. When I saw Allen
Ginsberg a month ago, he said 'Armageddon is the masses' which is about the
same as what McLuhan argued. As a catholic convert McLuhan needed an anchor
of faith to peer into the vortex of nothingness that is the media. McLuhan
declared the death of the individual and went to 'mass' every morning. go
figure...

jesse hirsh
mcluhan program/university of toronto

Jesse Hirsh - jesse@lglobal.com - jesse@tao.ca - tao@lglobal.com
P.O. Box 108, Station P, Toronto,  Canada, M5S 2S8

http://www.lglobal.com/~jesse