Pit Schultz on Mon, 29 Apr 96 20:37 MDT

nettime: !: Digital Chaotic

.DIGITAL.CHAOS.CYBERCONFERENCE.INFORMATION.RELEASE.

ITEM:26/04/96
STATUS:UP TO YOU
CONTACT:joHANNA @ The HUB INTERCAFF
EVENT:DIGITAL CHAOS (A SLACKER CYBERCONFERENCE; MAY 30 - JUNE 2)
NEEDS: deal with it

You are invited to participate and attend a cyber conference taking place
in Bath, enGLAND
DIGITAL: CHAOS: 30may-2june
an event:part of the Bath Fringe Arts Festival: contact:01 225 427 441
eMail:the_cafe@hub.co.uk
http://www.hub.co.uk/intercafe/front/chaos2.html
organised by the Hub InterC@fi and BINGE.
FULL ON AND PUSHING THROUGH THE SCREENS

During DIGITAL CHAOS hub interc@fi with BINGE. will be:
facilitating action
providing connectivity between data carriers
curating art in action over four days (24 hours each day)
securing powerful information moments through the introduction of theorist and
artist, postpolititian, digital worker  and supermarket assistant
ensuring documentation  and detecting meaning and patterns which emerge
from such
encounters
<<save changes>>
<<effect change>>

Your contribution to this event will be valued

we are entering a new era of communications, where traditional media networks
struggle to provide the information they think we want. they'll never
manage it.
the kind of information we want is simply not available. we've tried
writing to newspapers, to our MPs, to our mums and dads. but we know we're
on the
cusp of something that amazes us, something that breaks through all the
preconceived
ideas of the generations that came before us.  it's not their fault.  but it's
not ours either.  OUR INFORMATION IS FED TO US DIGITALLY< THROUGH ELECTRONIC
NETWORKS THAT FRIGHTEN PEOPLE WITH THEIR COMPLEXITY AND THEIR ILLIMITABILITY>
through this chaos we seek to understand our place by isolating patterns and
tendencies, by extrapolating from delerium the information that makes us
real in the face of global change; we want to talk to our peers in Bosnia,
Croatia, in Greece and Italy, America and Australia.  And we can. we want to
be hot news; we want to make it in the traditional world.  but not because
we want to be famous, not because we want to sell anything or prove any
construct: we want people to understand that the world just ain't what it was.
it's changed.  it's  different.  but that's not frightening.  it's good.
DIGITAL CHAOS: how we are dealing with it:
the idea for a cyber conference was not a difficult one, though what DIGITAL
CHAOS is not was harder.
we are not a space for an academic meandering through prescribed doctrinal
medicine, nor simply a gathering of technicians.  there are a vast number of
artists, writers, theorists, poets, activists and imagineers who use new
technologies to explores the places they have always explored: the mind, the
future, the present, fear, anger, love, and pleasure.
these places are the same as they have ever been - it is simply the tools that
have changed.  to evolve a new philosophy is not easy, but with new tools it
becomes inevitable.  we do not know what DIGITAL CHAOS may mean, but we are
sure that the confluence of minds will produce a new and exciting
paradigm that may mean a relocation of our inbuilt prejudices; a burst of fin
de siecle energy that may transform our information into a living force. we
hope so.

Details of conference events : http://www.hub.co.uk/intercafe/front/chaos2.html