Allan Siegel via nettime-l on Sat, 29 Jun 2024 10:35:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Ocular facts

Thanks Brian for your recent posts and for highlighting the latest chapter in the demise of so-called 'American democracy'. As Sinead O'Connor put it very succinctly during the Thatcher storm: "These are dangerous times."

As Seymour Hersh described, post-debate: not only does the emperor have no clothes but he hasn't been in charge for quite a while; this simply calls further attention to the fact that the hands on the levers of power of the U.S. government have hardly ever been transparent and when people, like Ellsberg or Assange, shine light on who is REALLY calling the shots we can see not only the consequences but the institutional structures that buttress U.S. foreign policy, for example.

What Trump and his financial backers reveal is the mordant layers of 'AmericaniZed fascism' that has been rotting away the remaining vestiges of democracy in the U.S.. The global implications of this once hidden coup are dire and frightening. Many eloquent and courageous voices have been calling our attention to this dangerous inward spiral on the political horizon and the consolidation of a neo-fascist plutocracy at the helm of the U.S. government. Voices labelled hysterical or extremist by newspapers like the New York Times.

Obama and Biden fed the American people (and global citizens) crumbs of optimism while being unable to reign in the Military Industrial Complex that has been central to U.S. since the end of World War Two. Sadly, mainstream media (and its financial supply chain) in the U.S. has aided and abetted this plutocracy. The CNN orchestrated debate (minus other presidential contenders) illustrates the dried out  streams of discourse that are central to any democracy.

best
allan