Brian Holmes via nettime-l on Fri, 14 Jun 2024 21:42:27 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Connective Theories, 30 years of Neural - Neural 74

Saluti Alessandro!

When exactly was that time when we got to hang out together for several
days? The place is a blur. But you are not!

Early nettimers remember the young Alessandro showing up from Bari, Italia,
with piles of the latest Neural, and maybe a back issue or two. I used to
have tons of them kicking around in Paris, with the fabulous covers crying
"read me!" Now thirty years later, I have no idea what life is like in Bari
(or if it's still relevant) but Neural... wow.

The networked utopia is said not to have happened. But, um, it did - it's
just unequally distributed. Thirty years ago this utopia, definitely on the
left and deeply connected to both art and activism, was just coming alive
among a vanishingly small number of people. Now, thirty years later and
long after the "here comes everybody" moment, it's still vanishingly small,
but still vibrantly alive as Neural's archive shows. What I hadn't got
round to in the years since leaving Europe is to actually subscribe.

Done. What a pleasure.

ciao Alessandro!

Brian