carl guderian on Mon, 2 May 2022 11:32:38 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Anne Applebaum

Hi all,

You can count me among those who used to look askance at Applebaum. Back in the Noughts, she was a regular and legitimate target of Sadly, No!, a blog I used to frequent. She’d even received from Orban (I think) the same far-right Hungarian honor also given to Trump hanger-on Sebastian Gorka, the one that lets you add “v” to your last name. Her husband is Polish and had been a cabinet minister in an earlier center-right government there. He and they were swept out when Poland went further right and, maybe, seeing where it was leading, she seems to have mellowed somewhat. From her articles since then, she seems to have stopped moving to the right and maybe even piulled back a bit, while the right races toward fascism. Or maybe the world going crazier, she just seems relatively sane and more liberal now.

I still don’t entirely trust her, but she appears to be more of an ally these days, and did warn about neofascism and Putin. Has she learned anything since the last Cold War? We’ll see...

Your mileage (kilometrage) may vary, and some settling may occur during shipping.

Carl