patrice riemens on Sat, 12 Feb 2022 09:51:39 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Meaning of Boris Johnson

Aloha,

Let me (allow me to) take Brian's rejoinder as an opportunity to address David's and his argument in face of the (dangerous) shenanigans in 10, Clowning Street (-Marina Hyde, TG) ... and beyond.

There is absolutely no doubt that Boris Johnson is a very 'special' character and political animal (Rory Stewart too, btw - but then in a positive sense), but as David says, his clowneries are froth while 'his administration is less of an outlier than it appears' - and this with deadly consequences.

I however do differ with David where he ascribe the current political-ideological imbroglio to the 'return of the state' as a consequence of the pandemic. According to me, to put it bluntly, nothing of the such has happened. The state has become more impotent than ever, and it are the corporate forces which have and are steering the decision-making process, with the state as mere conveyor belt. There is no confusion there, and even if it appears to happen more by default than by design, it is still entirely deliberate.We have truly and wholesomely entered the era of 'govcorp' where the administrative apparatus is merely, albeit indispensable, exo-squeleton of global corporate governance, with, in accordance with the spirit of the times, 'hyper' - and hyper rich - individuals at the helm. Welcome to neo-feudalism.

I am afraid that is such a dispensation, clowns like Boris Johnson, and his exceptionally 'gifted' motley crew ('Jakey' Rees-Mogg, 'Mad Nad' -ine Dorries, & the many such) are mere props (the extent to which they are conscious of it is unclear) in the tragedy which are embroiled in for quite a while: that of post-politics, that is a system where the powers are not what they look and are not located where they seem to be, and the ongoings take, for the people at large, every appearance of a puzzle palace. I think this is one of the reason for populism: desperately trying to make sense where it has vanished from the political scene (which has vanished too in the process) .

& With regard to Brian's derive of the unhappy pranksters towards a military expedient: he is completely right, while at the same time, to parakeet Jean Marie Le Pen's totally infame dismissal of the Shoah as a footnote, it is, 'ontologically speaking', a mere side-show. Even though, with a war in Europe at our doorstep, we might very well die in it for real.

Yeah, it's a fine mess indeed.

Cheers all the same , and happy week-end