Brian Holmes on Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:02:04 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> I, Token: the untold story of the hole in Bitcoin's heart

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 10:45 AM Brett Scott <brettscott@fastmail.com> wrote:

I, token, am whatever fantasy you want me to be.

It's the most lucid description of Bitcoin I've read yet.

From that starting point, one could go on to make the central fantasy more explicit. I mean, interpret it as a kind of ideal-typical fantasy that correlates with surrounding realities. Of course this would disrespect the astonishing diversity of all the private fears, ambitions, desires, secret grudges and idiosyncratic senses of humor that are at work among the bitcoiners. But so what? Real critique has always been both abrasive and unwelcome.

I might give it a go, and would be interested in anyone else's take.

best, and thanks for such a good text,

Brian