d . garcia on Thu, 3 Jun 2021 12:28:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Democracy Net Zero

On 2021-06-02 18:54, Ryan Griffis wrote:
Hi all.

This is maybe jumping the tracks of this thread started by David's
essay, or maybe it’s actually bringing it back online… not sure. But,
Patrick’s anecdote about verbalizing the urgency of the climate
catastrophe is something many of us here, I’m sure, relate to.

Hi Ryan et al. Thanks for all the reflections and informative links..

For clarification around the text

Writing Net Zero Democracy was driven by a need to understand in broad terms, the big changes in the underlying political logic of today's liberal democracies. And most importantly how these changes affect our capacity to avert climate catastrophe. For what its worth, my own belief is that action and change can’t happen without experiments that break out of the rigidities of a limited view of what democracy can be.

The reference to Carson’s ‘Silent Spring’ (apart from the intrinsic importance of her work) was to compare the way it was received and its impact in an era in which agreement between ideological opponents was sometimes possible to our own age. Today a relatively new political grammar that clusters around the structuring polarities of technocracy and populism appears to make agreement on anything between opponents impossible.

The underlying argument of the piece is that whatever form our practice takes needs to take account of this new political grammar even as we seek to resist its logic. And that new democratic experiments operating within this logic must above all have a direct impact on decision making in relationship to the climate emergency.

This is why I underscored the impact of the recent French Climate assembly and the resistance it has generated to the way Macron has broken his commitments and diluted the measures proposed by the assembly that he himself convened.

There is much to be learned by what is unfolding in France as part of the wider process of cognitive mobilisation. Whether in the numerous experiments in participatory deliberative democracy around the world or ‘evidential realist’ investigative art movements that can be seen partnering important forms of on-line investigative activism (Bellingcat and Forensic Architecture). But a cognitively mobilised society also includes the toxic conspiracy narratives of the likes of QAnon.. whose followers also see themselves as independent thinkers and researchers. And like Wu Ming 1 recommended we must never simply dismiss or debunk these narratives but always look for the kernel of truth around which conspiracy fantasies invariably form..

Best

David Garcia