Iain Boal on Tue, 19 Jan 2021 00:37:45 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Left Needs a New Strategy

OK, John, apologies. Mistakes were made. I was not feeling well. I now recognize my "name-calling destructiveness”. I retract "sinomane”. Would “sinophilic” meet your approval? As for “telecommunist”, you surely noticed, it's their self-description!

Those nettimers, stakhanovite heroes and sheroes at the digital coalface, who have stuck with this thread — whether out of loyalty, ‘iterative forwardness’ [wozzat? ED], or in the case of serial ironists (such as Roman and myself) nostalgic for the 1950s and even hoping to come across the phrase “big tractors” somewhere in the niagara of Eastern Orthodoxy — may have noted some projection going on, John, at your end.

Truly, I made no ‘demand', either for ‘regulation' or ‘suppression'. Just a query whether Ted, our quondam moderator, might - do what? - well, perhaps send  a back-channel "verb. sap.", as Rosa Luxemburg used to say.

Maybe it was the word ‘intervention’ that set you off, John? Well, I fondly hoped that the polysemy might be apparent, that its more gentle, mediative and therapeutic sense might be set resonating, rather than the cant term favoured by belligerents of right and left.  Why did the dogs of the crimethink gendarmerie spring to your mind?

As for ‘inciteful’, well, what can one say? If it’s incitement you’re looking for, this fortnight I have just the place for you. Where the Green Zone comes home from the imperial frontier. Time to pull your Gibbon off the shelf.  (Hmm, my bibliomania is showing).

Greetings, meanwhile, to all exhausted antinomians on the list, especially those silenced or keeping their silence, and - per impossibile -  to those who have already turned away from the spite and the spleen.

From Ohlone territory,

Iain