John Young on Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:47:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Left Needs a New Strategy

In May 1968 nearly all of us red-bloodied patriots had never heard or seen or knew a real live admitted Marxist, with full black beard and longish hair, intense eyes, speaking quietly to a group of students sitting on a university floor, having just joined a sit-in and awaited directions from a trio of hirsutes who called for a meeting to hear what was planned against the university, against capitalism, against sexism, against racism, against whites like us slaves being trained to oppress the masses as our fore-people had been doing since ... forever.

The Marxist paused, said I have to sneeze, excuse me, sneezed explosively, several stunned rows deep took the sprayed snot as if being annointed by god's own truthteller (most were religious more less, none political). Then the sermon qua lecture qua fire and brimstone continued, sermons qua lectures qua fires and brimstons we knew were what we designated slaves sat quietly through parental dinner tables or temples of worship, waiting to be rescued by a bell or a benediction or a prayerful amen, the basket already passed with small change and small bills and large judging glares of the besuited basket masters.

Three hours of steady ungodly Marxism exigesis continued, maybe it was 4 or 8, we lost track, napped, massaged our numb butts, nearly everyone smoked *back then*, some MJ handed around, of course *back then* nobody had a cell phone to escape the droning narcosis so we just took our brain-starved medicine of exotic ideology lubricated with dollops of nose-haired mucus.

It was liberating *back then* to become diseased with revolutionary mental protheses to increase out gait, our reach, our influence (well before influencing became rancid capitalism), our fuck you to authority, to obedience, to toeing the line, to climbing the ladder, to dispensers of claptrap Western Traditionalism.

But above all, Fuck the Draft. Mark Rudd laughingly marching through BedStuy yodeling Ho, ho, Ho Chi Minh, Viet Cong Are Gonna Win. Burn our draft cards, dump blood on Stock Exchange floor, Make Love Not War.

Then Kent State, then Weatherpeople blowing themselves up. Then hirsute Marxists became barbered professors, shady lawyers, corrupt politicians, market riggers, abusive mates, liars, cheaters, informers, deserters, fleers to Canada, even bone spurs dodgers.

So here we are, the ursine Bone Spur Dodgers mauling the perfidious Capitol of global capitalism, Marxism become cruel capitalistic ideology of Russia and China and North Korea and Cuba and unknown regimes across the planet while keeping quiet about what prepared youngsters for becoming slave masters of intellect and education and wealth accumulating high tech.

*Back then* how could we have known what shit were getting into, were going to spread, have enjoyed the fruits of, willingly continue to dress it as Shinola. That's you we mean, not us.