Max Herman on Fri, 8 Jan 2021 21:50:07 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> made for TV, made for social media

Sorry, I had the phrase wrong, the article called it "fan service":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/trump-post-election-fan-service/2020/11/13/a70615f6-2511-11eb-8672-c281c7a2c96e_story.html

We should also recognize, I think, that Trump did fantasize that the rioters might do something more terrible -- set the capitol building ablaze, cause many many deaths, etc. -- and he would absolutely have been willing to declare martial law, shut down the internet, all of it.

So can we say Jan. 6 was both a pathetic tantrum and a "hail-mary pass" trying to see if he could finagle a real military coup?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/12/22/trump-didnt-attempt-coup-he-threw-temper-tantrum-that-never-had-chance/

From: Max Herman <maxnmherman@hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 11:06 AM
To: Geert Lovink <geert@xs4all.nl>; a moderated mailing list for net criticism <nettime-l@mail.kein.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> made for TV, made for social media

Well said Geert!

I have heard Trump's method compared to "customer servicing," by a film or TV critic in the NY Times or Washington post, theatrics to perpetuate his brand, sales, and followers:  in a word, advertising.

Do we want to say everything is all advertising and there is nothing else?  There has to be a product too, even if it's nothing more than the output of a golden toilet.  🙂

Advertising and infomercials!

Max