Geoffrey Goodell on Mon, 4 Nov 2019 15:04:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook

Carsten -- well said, and thank you for the trenchant characterisation of the
problem and initial thoughts on how we might resolve it.  Your observation that
certain businesses have become infrastructure is spot-on.

I think you're also right to link the platform businesses [1] with privately
owned public spaces (POPS) in the urban planning context.  The problems are
similar.  A cash-strapped government cannot offer some essential service, and
the private-sector, channelling Andrew Carnegie, steps in to offer a 'solution'
that turns out to be essentially self-serving.  What would it take for some
government (in Europe or North America, say) to provide 'neutral'
infrastructure?  Would there be requests for proposals?  Would there be
standardisation committees?  Would this take decades?  The private sector,
fuelled by data harvesting revenues, can get it done faster.  And of course our
{city, province, nation, international alliance} needs to be competitive now,
lest we miss out when someone else wins the race, since Winners Take All [2]!

And the dangers don't stop here.  The following was overheard at an event on
financial crime hosted by the UK Financial Conduct Authority in August
concerning the Financial Action Task Force (FATF):

"Government does not create innovative solutions.  In a capitalist system, we
rely upon the private sector for that."

So does this mean that we will allow Facebook and Google to continue to operate
so long as they make sure that our financial cops have whatever they want?
Does this mean we pay those mercenary armies to do our dirty work for us,
collecting data revenues, paid by wealthy manipulators, as compensation since
our institutions are out of cash?

How can we unwire our institutions from this situation?  It seems politically
difficult, perhaps intractable.  We'll need to raise taxes.  We'll need to host
a conversation about infrastructure, power, and control.  We'll need to make
some decisions based on moral values, not just money or even data.  I'm not
sure we remember how to do that.

What do you think our first step should be?

Best wishes --

Geoff

[1] I do not like the term 'tech giants' because (a) many firms that deal in
technology are not systematically contributing to the practices we are
discussing, (b) it fatalistically suggests an inseparable link between the
advance of technology and such practices, and (c) it misleadingly suggests that
the main problem with these businesses is their size, when in reality even
small businesses contribute directly to this problem.

[2] Anand Giridharadas, _Winners Take All_.  I strongly recommend it, not only
for its characterisation of Silicon Valley elites but also for its discussion
of why nationalism is back in vogue as a response to a global elite that has
shunned legitimate political processes.