mp on Wed, 2 Oct 2019 10:30:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Wash Post: Greta Thunberg weaponized shame in an era of shamelessness

On 02/10/2019 03:13, Molly Hankwitz wrote:
> It seems I really messed up regarding GTs effects upon the US in her visit
> here. I think she’s great. Obviously, she is impactful and plays a role in
> discussions elsewhere.
>
> Clearly living in a miasma of spectacle.

Here's a deep environmentalist perspective on the spectacle, in great
detail, perhaps at times a little too conspiratorial for some, but
nutrition for the discerning reader's thought can be found:

http://www.wrongkindofgreen.org/2019/01/17/the-manufacturing-of-greta-thunberg-for-consent-the-political-economy-of-the-non-profit-industrial-complex/

The Manufacturing of Greta Thunberg – for Consent series has been
written in two volumes.

[Volume I: ACT I • ACT II • ACT III • ACT IV • ACT V • ACT VI] [Addenda: I]

[Volume II: An Object Lesson In Spectacle • ACT I • ACT II • ACT III •
ACT IV • ACT V] [ACTS VI & VII forthcoming]

Volume I:

In ACT I, I disclose that Greta Thunberg, the current child prodigy and
face of the youth movement to combat climate change, serves as special
youth advisor and trustee to the burgeoning mainstream tech start-up, We
Don’t Have Time. I then explore the ambitions behind the tech company We
Don’t Have Time.

In ACT II, I illustrate how today’s youth are the sacrificial lambs for
the ruling elite. Also in this act I introduce the board members of and
advisors to We Don’t Have Time. I explore the leadership in the nascent
We Don’t Have Time and the partnerships between the well-established
corporate environmental entities: Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project,
350.org, Avaaz, Global Utmaning (Global Challenge), the World Bank, and
the World Economic Forum (WEF).

In ACT III, I deconstruct how Al Gore and the planet’s most powerful
capitalists are behind today’s manufactured youth movements and why. I
explore the We Don’t Have Time/Thunberg connections to Our Revolution,
the Sanders Institute, This Is Zero Hour, the Sunrise Movement and the
Green New Deal. I also touch upon Thunberg’s famous family. In
particular, Thunberg’s celebrity mother, Malena Ernman (WWF
Environmental Hero of the Year 2017) and her August 2018 book launch. I
then explore the generous media attention afforded to Thunberg in both
May and April of 2018 by SvD, one of Sweden’s largest newspapers.

In ACT IV, I examine the current campaign, now unfolding, in “leading
the public into emergency mode”. More importantly, I summarize who and
what this mode is to serve.

In ACT V, I take a closer look at the Green New Deal. I explore Data for
Progress and the targeting of female youth as a key “femographic”. I
connect the primary architect and authors of the “Green New Deal” data
to the World Resources Institute. From there, I walk you through the
interlocking Business & Sustainable Development Commission, the Global
Commission on the Economy and Climate and the New Climate Economy – a
project of the World Resources Institute. I disclose the common thread
between these groups and the assignment of money to nature, represented
by the Natural Capital Coalition and the non-profit industrial complex
as an entity. Finally, I reveal how this has culminated in the
implementation of payments for ecosystem services (the financialization
and privatization of nature, global in scale) which is “expected to be
adopted during the fifteenth meeting in Beijing in 2020.”

In the final act, ACT VI [Crescendo], I wrap up the series by divulging
that the very foundations which have financed the climate “movement”
over the past decade are the same foundations now partnered with the
Climate Finance Partnership looking to unlock 100 trillion dollars from
pension funds. I reveal the identities of individuals and groups at the
helm of this interlocking matrix, controlling both the medium and the
message. I take a step back in time to briefly demonstrate the ten years
of strategic social engineering that have brought us to this very
precipice. I look at the relationship between WWF, Stockholm Institute
and World Resources Institute as key instruments in the creation of the
financialization of nature. I also take a look at the first public
campaigns for the financialization of nature (“natural capital”) that
are slowly being brought into the public realm by WWF. I reflect upon
how mainstream NGOs are attempting to safeguard their influence and
further manipulate the populace by going underground through Extinction
Rebellion groups being organized in the US and across the world.

With the smoke now cleared, the weak and essentially non-existent
demands reminiscent of the 2009 TckTckTck “demands” can now be fully
understood.

Some of these topics, in addition to others, will be released and
discussed in further detail as addenda built on the large volume of
research. This includes stepping through the looking glass, with an
exploration of what the real “Green New Deal” under the Fourth
Industrial Revolution will look like. Also forthcoming is a look at the
power of celebrity – and how it has become a key tool for both capital
and conformity.