Felipe Fonseca on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 23:12:11 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Maker Movement is abandoned by its corporate sponsors; throws in the towel

Hey nettimers,

With the risk of being too late to the party, I want to thank everyone involved in this discussion. It was only last week that I had time to read it, and it came just on time, as I have just moved to the UK to join the OpenDOTT programme in Dundee (https://opendott.org) as a PhD student. I wasn't so sure a couple weeks ago, but now it seems my contribution to the project may somehow be related to a critical perspective on the so-called maker culture, and perhaps trying to think of a commons of material resources in city-wide contexts. It would be great to reconnect to whoever is interested in reuse, repair, upcycling and other ways to seek healthier (and more magical indeed) ways to relate to objects/things.

Jaromil, thanks for the mention. There is an improved version of that medium post here - https://is.efeefe.me/stuff/gambiarra-repair-culture , as well as a couple other texts on similar themes.

All the best, now away from Bolsonaroland but pretty close to Brexitburg.

efe