BishopZ on Sat, 22 Jun 2019 07:14:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> HCI: Human-Computer Insurrection

Did I say dissonance? Maybe I meant arbitrage.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 9:41 PM BishopZ <xchicago@gmail.com> wrote:
There is alot of dissonance in the field of UX.

From its various originators (IBM, etc), UX was meant to be the one voice in the room that defended the user.

The UX agents at an Online Poker company have difficulty fulfilling their Hippocratic oath. They are regularly tasked with manipulating their users (Yahoo, Verizon, et al).

The academics of UX (Neilson/Norman) have no way to put into words how professionals (working at poker companies) should even explain where they are and what they are doing.

The best they can offer is that the best techniques for manipulation are "anti-patterns".

This paper was needed ten years ago.