James Wallbank on Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:56:34 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Maker Movement is abandoned by its corporate sponsors; throws in the towel

I think that, taking a longer perspective, the key question we have to ask is whether the "Maker Movement" contains (or even could contain) potential genuinely to transform and empower localities. Relocalisation was one of the big sales pitches for the internet (remember all that breathless talk of working from home, and a new layer of prosperous digital artisans?) yet what we see, twenty five years later, is hyper-centralisation.

Just as an example, we used to use the apartment above "Makers" for AirBNB. So British people, visiting us in Sheffield, could pay people in San Fransico for the right to transact with us. Partly in response, we've taken the step of scrapping the apartment, breaking through the ceiling of the shop, reinstituting the staircase, and opening up two more floors to local commerce, culture and micro-industry!

But can we make that decision make sense? Are we just utopian silly-billies, prepared to waste our resources on subsidising local culture - or can we make it pay at least as much as we made from our previous activities?

Only by fairly universal engagement can Making begin to address the sorts of global issues that posters like Adrian and Garnet have identified (resource usage, poor resource recovery, social inequalities, alienation...). And to get fairly universal engagement, it HAS TO PAY.

Richard, you say "my point of view the greatest value of the maker movement has been an explosion of people making things that don't entirely make sense and that are not intended as commercial ventures. That's not an issue, that's the point."

If we maintain that the quirky, fascinating, but ultimately unprofitable experiments are the core value of the Maker Movement, then be prepared to accept that it WILL wither and die - or rather, simply retreat into the world of hobbyists orbiting academic institutions. Throughout history there have been movements that have resulted in things that don't entirely make sense - it hasn't needed the Maker Movement to make that happen. Are you in danger of conflating the experimental excrescences of creative young people with what we're now calling "making" (that intersection of the physical and the digital that's made possible by affordable digital manufacturing equipment and dirt-cheap, programmable microelectronics)?

I believe that the Maker Movement points to value an order of magnitude of greater - a contextual change, in which localities are transformed and empowered as they take on the skills, the engagement and the tools to make their own quirky, responsive and particular products and emergent cultures suitable for their own needs.

But just because something is fairly universal, that STILL doesn't mean that it has potential to revitalise localities. This is where I have an issue with 3D Print. Take, as an analogy, inkjet printing. Inkjet printing is almost universal (who doesn't have one, two, or more inkjet printers languishing in their attic or office storeroom?) but the only jobs that this creates are manufacturing and selling Inkjets and Ink. Despite the ubiquitous distribution of hardware, the (often diabolically networked) software, combined with proprietary ink cartridges, means that all the profits are spirited away from where YOU live.

The product of an Inkjet printer is good enough for you to frame and put on the mantelpiece (until it fades and you print out another one), but they probably aren't good enough to sell. These types of technology give you the illusion that you are a producer (of nice colour reproductions), when actually, you are a consumer (of ink). I think that 3D Printers currently have a similar economic effect - they're the end of the value chain. You can print out pirate space marines, (or marine space pirates, come to that) and use them for your tabletop battles, but that doesn't mean you can sell them legally, or at at a price that makes sense. You're the end of the value chain.

On the other hand, you can feed laser cutters or CNCs with an incredibly wide range of materials, from a vast range of suppliers. And crucially, those materials have purposes OTHER THAN being fed into a laser cutter or CNC. If you also have a cheap planer-thicknesser, then almost any recovered wood product can be your raw material.

These questions of microeconomics may get us away from the fascination of the amateur hackathon - and researchers may feel less immediately excited - but they matter for the shape of the bigger picture in the longer term.

There's a whole other post - in fact, a whole thread - to be made about Making and Open Source. Is Open Source (as distinct from local, personal sharing) actually the thin end of the "globalised business as usual" wedge? I'll leave it for now.

All the best,

James
=====