Joseph Rabie on Mon, 9 Jul 2018 13:22:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Unlocking Proprietorial Systems for Artistic Practice | By Marc Garrett.

Hallo all,

This argument between "things are getting worse" and "things are getting better" comes back regularly - though (on this list at least) the former dominates, while the latter asserts its contradiction. The prevalent view here appears to be that our culture of capitalist, consumerist uber-exploitation, that has its origins in European (white, patriarchal, colonialist) modern technical society, is going to be the death of human culture and civilisation in its current state.

Indeed, while I find this view coherent (and have so expressed myself on occasion), I find myself becoming more and more irritable with its constant re-enunciation... and I am trying to figure out why my hackles are rising against something that, after all, I am in agreement. Perhaps because it is all so repetitive - I no longer read to the end of many interesting posts and articles. Or because it is so negative, yet one has no choice but to compose with it. Perhaps it is because I am unaccommodated by what I detect to be a moralising, self-righteous undercurrent in its critique. Perhaps by the detection of grim satisfaction in the rebuttals targeting the optimists who make out that things are improving. Or by a pervading sense of helplessness. Or by what I detect as being a religiously fervent anger in the naming of villains (the capitalist-militarist oligarchy, etc.).

Perhaps what irks me, fundamentally, is that there is widespread recourse to a denunciatory posture that I find profoundly problematic. This is paradoxical, because there is so much in the current state of humanity and the planet which merits absolute and utter denunciation. Yet the act of denunciation is sterile, counter-productive, and a side-stepping of responsibility. The example for this is the child’s denunciation of his parents for having brought her into the world without her prior consent.

In other words, though one is well advised to denounce the particular actions of groups that cause harm to others and the environment, it is absurd to denounce the human planetary condition as a whole. Our tragic present is the consequence of complex stages of the historic rise of modern, technological, capitalistic society of which we are, whether we like it or not actors, and for which we ultimately cannot escape collective responsibility in spite of our opposition to its terms. Rejection by denunciation is a cop out.

Let it not be forgotten that this is a socio-technico-cultural model so outwardly attractive that when the colonists were kicked out, it was retained by the newly liberated countries (even those adopting Marxist regimes, as China demonstrates). If Thatcher's "there is no alternative" is so poignant, is it not because five hundred years of history, constructing the modernist "Utopia", has at each step eliminated all other possibles in a complex process of ferocious, monolithic evolution based upon destructions and cooptations?

Thus I finish a complaint singularly deficient in answers, where it appears that there is no escape. Yet, countering this with a blanket denunciatory posture seems to me terribly futile: its corollary, a sort of dogma of despair, fills me with dismay.

Joseph Rabie.